Any news on when Roatan will reopen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We remain Covid-19 free on Utila but Roatan isn't. Utila residents and the navy are patrolling the island in boats to stop people from Roatan or the mainland from trying to sneak onto our island.

Wow - for good reason. I hope you can remain COVID free ... or if your folks get exposed it's a much wimpier version than has hit other places. Do you know if Roatan has had any deaths associated with the illness? (Crossing my fingers their version is also 'wimpy'.)

I haven't heard of any fatalities on Roatan but the virus only arrived a couple of weeks ago, last I heard all those infected were in quarantine.

The president of Honduras was hospitalized on Wednesday for Covid-19 and is being treated for pneumonia, a day after testing positive for the illness, a government health official said.

The president, Juan Orlando Hernández, was admitted after laboratory tests and X-rays revealed the pneumonia. He was receiving medicine intravenously, said the health official, Francis Contreras, in a televised statement to the news media.

But Mr. Contreras sought to reassure the country about the president’s condition. “His general state of health is good,” Mr. Contreras said, adding that the president’s medical team had recommended that he be treated as an inpatient at a hospital rather than remain at home.

Mr. Hernández’s transfer to the hospital came hours after he announced, in a televised statement late Tuesday night, that he had tested positive for the coronavirus, joining a small group of world leaders infected in the pandemic that has swept the globe and reached into the halls of power of several governments...

President of Honduras Hospitalized for Coronavirus

It may be a bit longer than you think before the country reopens.

I just got an email from Delta cancelling my flight for 8/22. I'm waiting to hear from the Aggressor folks as to what they want to do.

If the islands are waiting for a vaccine prior to opening, it may be another year before it is available for third world countries. Sorry just sayin

I just got an email from Delta cancelling my flight for 8/22. I'm waiting to hear from the Aggressor folks as to what they want to do.

We were scheduled at Turquoise Bay that same week, and we, too, got the cancellation from Delta yesterday. TB cancelled, and we have a credit good for 1 year.

The Aggressor rep replied this afternoon and states that their current plans are to begin trips on 8/8/2020. I rebooked with American and will have to fly out of Hartford, a two hour drive, but it's better than the overnight or longer layover flying with United would have involved. I got an upgrade to business class for a little less than the Delta trip would have cost, so that's a good thing. I requested a straight refund from Delta since they cancelled my trip, so we'll see how that works out.

I have a Roatan trip planned for November.

This week the reservations agent at the resort we’re going to emailed the following update:

“No word from the government yet, but they are trying to reopen locally by July 15 and prepare to receive cruise ships and international flights as soon as possible.

I've been reading that ships won't begin to operate again until September, and flights are canceled up to August (Delta).”

My shop's travel manager was just told this morning that our flights scheduled for September 19-26 have been cancelled. We were originally supposed to be going in April, so this was already the reschedule. I threw in the towel and cancelled instead of trying to rereschedule.

...our flights scheduled for September 19-26 have been cancelled.

Man, that is discouraging news indeed.

Back
Top Bottom