Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get a discount with AT&T through my company.
The various companies and plans seem to be in a constant state of change. They're all making huge profits but the competition is always wicked. It really pays to review possibilities every year, as well as be on the lookout for new changes.

But yeah, these new "unlimited" plans are a bit cheaper and include some international perks, so I just had them switch it.
Good for this trip. Don't renew your contracts without reviewing other companies tho.

I'm in the exact same boat -- the company discount is something like 27% and makes it hard to switch, but I do hate the international fees. I'll have to look at the new options.
I think all of the majors have free Canada and Mexico on unlimited plans at rates better than some older ones. We've been with CellOne, then Alltell, then Verizon as they merged thru the years for a couple of decades now mostly because they seem to offer better service around here, but we stay open to new offers. We recently changed our family group to Unlimited text, calls, and data at $30/month/line on 6 numbers before phone purchases, taxes and fees, but we get $40/month off with my Vet discount so we're really paying $23.33/month/line before the add-ons. Of course, device payments, insurance, taxes & fees run that up a lot/

I don't know about the other companies but Verizon has big discount offers on several employee plans including all sorts of government employees & teachers, several companies, etc. It pays to ask with all of them.

I use Google Fi whenever I am outside of US, Canada, or Mexico.
Only when you leave North America? How does that work? I've looked at them but thought they were monthly plans and more expensive.

Only when you leave North America? How does that work? I've looked at them but thought they were monthly plans and more expensive.

Yes, my Verizon plan includes Canada and Mexico.

It is more expensive than some other plans, but it has "unlimited" data, and works nearly everywhere including unplanned stop. For example last year I had a trip to Japan, but due to weather I had to go through HK and had several hours at the airport. But since I had Google Fi it was a non-issue. I didn't have to trust some random wifi, nor have to pay for it either.

That doesn't answer my question. How can you have Verizon and Google?

I simply switch my SIM out on the way to the airport, activate the service. And do the opposite on the way home.

I simply switch my SIM out on the way to the airport, activate the service. And do the opposite on the way home.
Ok, so you leave your Google Fi on Pause between trips as it's an easy one or off plan I guess, then turn it and switch Sims on for the trip, leaving Verizon unused but active unless it's a longer trip, then put Google Fi back onto Pause at the end of the trip and switch Sims to return to using Verizon? I just read that that's possible on their site, being the part I didn't understand. Now I do I guess.

Ok, so you leave your Google Fi on Pause between trips as it's an easy one or off plan I guess, then turn it and switch Sims on for the trip, leaving Verizon unused but active unless it's a longer trip, then put Google Fi back onto Pause at the end of the trip and switch Sims to return to using Verizon? I just read that that's possible on their site, being the part I didn't understand. Now I do I guess.

Pretty much, I don't use the Google Fi number, I tell people to call my Google Voice number while I travel internationally (which is on a different Google account as you can't have two Google numbers on one account).

If the trip is long enough I might pause Verizon, but the trips are rarely longer than 3 weeks. It is more expensive than pay as you go SIMs, but it is much easier to use, you have internet and phone the moment you are boots on the ground, and works even if you get diverted.

Back
Top Bottom