Quiz - 20 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

Smoking cigarettes prior to diving can raise the carbon monoxide level ___ times above normal, which

• a. 2 / makes it harder to breath

• b. 3-12 / impairs oxygen transport and carbon dioxide elimination

• c. 20-40 / increases the risk of a lung-expansion injury

• d. 100 / increases the risk of heart attack and stroke

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Diving Physiology Section of the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook Version 2.02 © PADI 2009:

Objective 2.6 - Explain the physiological effect of increased carbon monoxide levels (including cigarette smoking) on the diver and how they can be avoided.

Question 4

Smoking cigarettes prior to diving can raise the carbon monoxide level ___ times above normal, which in turn ___.

a. 2 / makes it harder to breath

b. 3-12 / impairs oxygen transport and carbon dioxide elimination

c. 20-40 / increases the risk of a lung-expansion injury

d. 100 / increases the risk of heart attack and stroke

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

So, how does smoking relate to air consumption? :)

Not PADI, but by process of elimination my guess is.......B

I know what the answer is because I recall reading it in the Workbook. But I'm sure some will find ways to argue that at least 2 of the 3 other choices may be correct. It's a very clear question if you know what the book says, otherwise it could be a little cloudy.

b. 3-12 / impairs oxygen transport and carbon dioxide elimination

One of the primary by-products of burning tobacco is carbon monoxide. Once in the bloodstream it combines with the hemoglobin, effectively locking out the oxygen. In addition, because hemoglobin also transports carbon dioxide on its return to the lungs, it also hinders the transport of this gas. For divers even more so. Don't smoke, particularly if you are a diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom