Recommendations for weight systems for first backplate system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive been thinking the Xdeep drop wieght set-up in hopes that its compatible with the Apeks plate.

One of the cool things about backplates and wings is that you can pretty much mix and match any component from any brand. The Xdeep pockets will work, as will the generic branded ones.
If you are looking for droppable pockets, keep an eye out on the orientation of the pocket: if you are standing up, do they slide forward (like the xdeep) or downwards. This translate on how to drop in case of an emergency, in horizontal or vertical orientation. Personally, I prefer vertical because this takes less real estate on the hip.
Another thing to look for (especially on the left) is the position of the D ring. With some pockets, the ring is lower than the belt, making it a pita to clip to. Ideally, the D ring should be exactly where it would be if you didn't have a pocket.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

A freedive belt has some elasticity, so it stays in place and can adjust to suit compression and can also be worn low, below the diaphragm, so breathing is unrestricted. Simple, safe, comfortable and inexpensive. And I will buy you a new one if you ever have to drop it in an emergency!

https://www.makospearguns.com/Freedive-Weight-Belt-p/mfdwb.htm

A freedive belt has some elasticity, so it stays in place and can adjust to suit compression and can also be worn low, below the diaphragm, so breathing is unrestricted.
I noticed the buckle is not the usual "quick release" I'm used to. I'm sure there's good reason for that, but I can also imagine boat operators (or instabuddies) not being happy with that. Obviously that's not an issue for everyone, but it would be for me.

I use 4 2kg pockets on the cambands. and position the weights as I need for the trim.

I usually dive with 1+1kg on the top camband if I'm using an 5 or 5+7mm in sweet water.

When I dive in salt water I add accordingly to what I need on the lower camband.

I can go up to 8kg + steel backplate if I need something extreme, but with the thickest neoprene I'm good with 8kg.

I position the pockets reversed so I can reach and grab the clip buckle and drop the weights if I need, but I try to keep the weight so I can swim up from depth with a neoprene suit.

I noticed the buckle is not the usual "quick release" I'm used to. I'm sure there's good reason for that, but I can also imagine boat operators (or instabuddies) not being happy with that. Obviously that's not an issue for everyone, but it would be for me.
The buckle on the Mako belt is quick release. If you pull the free end past the buckle it springs open. It's actually the other way around, lots of people that see it want one.

When I need some extra weight I use a SeaSoft Scuba Pro Weight Belt. It is an integrated soft weight belt that stretches, so it stays snug when your suit compresses and it does not restrict breathing. They are sold as an entire belt with a fixed weight amount...so if your are changing weights, this will get expensive!

I have also used the Mako belt and it is also nice...and less expensive. I just prefer the “feel” of the SeaSoft Weight Belt.

Yes as mentioned above, it IS different from what most people are used to. Thanks very much for asking. 10 seconds of handling of this buckle and you would be comfortable with it.

If anyone needs to drop lead fast it is a freediver - more so than a scuba diver. This (very short) video was prepared for freedivers, but it shows the quick release option quite well - I think:

This (very short) video was prepared for freedivers, but it shows the quick release option quite well
Yes, that's quite convincing as a demo. Thanks.

I do have a pair of X Deep hip pockets that I tried a few times but found I didn’t need them, so took them off. Let me know if you might be home interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom