Sanitizing regulators and gear for Covid 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did Apeks test any other agents?

They have now and issued further guidance this week.

I'll need to double check the email for the other approved agents.

Steramine is not on the EPA's List N for SARS-CoV-2, so there isn't really any guidance on what concentration or how to use it. My shop doesn't use it for that reason. We clean rental gear with a 20 minute soak in 2% bleach solution or spray and let air dry with 70% IPA solution, as per Atomics recommendations. We also no longer include mouth pieces on rental regs, but each student gets a pair of them for their first class with us, then they are expected to provide their own from then on.

I don’t rent gear, even tanks. No one lays a hand on my gear unless they’re helping me by steadying doubles while I’m getting in/out of harness.

If it’s all your own gear you’re diving with, there’s no reason, IMO, to go all OCD and germaphobe.

I don't see the value in owning my own tanks. I have to get air somehow anyway (and maybe the fact that I can drop in to the shop and grab a tank any time, 24 hours a day, plays a part in this), so I don't get any value out of paying for maintenance or having something take up space in my house. But there is basically 0 concern of getting SARS-CoV-2 from a tank. The pressurization during a fill raises the internal temperature well above the temperature needed to kill the virus, even if it somehow was being pumped in.

If you could share that would be great, as Chemgene is hard to come by on the other side of the channel.

Both Steramine, at 400 ppm and Virkon-S -- both widely used to sterilize open and closed circuit equipment -- appears to be readily available through Amazon in the U.K . . .

Both Steramine, at 400 ppm and Virkon-S -- both widely used to sterilize open and closed circuit equipment -- appears to be readily available through Amazon in the U.K . . .
Shipping from the UK is ridiculously expensiv, that's why I'm looking for something available locally. EW80des is according to the manufacturer working against CV19 and has been widely used by dive shops around here, but a statement from Apeks would be reassuring.

Shipping from the UK is ridiculously expensiv, that's why I'm looking for something available locally. EW80des is according to the manufacturer working against CV19 and has been widely used by dive shops around here, but a statement from Apeks would be reassuring.

I wasn't suggesting shipping from the States; and was referring to Amazon in the UK, for those seeking the product there. Steramine seems currently sold out at Amazon.co.uk; but Virkon is available, as of five minutes ago, through a seller there . . .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008CHQZHU/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I was under the impression that MOD63, to whom I was originally responding, was in the UK . . .

Steramine is not on the EPA's List N for SARS-CoV-2, so there isn't really any guidance on what concentration or how to use it.

The active ingredient in Steramine -- quaternary ammonium -- is on the EPA list of antimicrobial agents for use against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 novel coronavirus).

I was talking about shipping from the UK if you re-read :). Uk to mainland Europe just sucks.

My apologies. I had no idea where you were located; also had no idea that shipping to the EU was so nasty. A bit like flying between cities there?

I see; I misread "other side of the channel" for "pond."

The Covidiocy continues . . .

Back
Top Bottom