Recommendations for weight systems for first backplate system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F_Raven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My apologies in advance if this thread is in the wrong section, sort of new to scubaboard.

Topic: Ive just invested in all the parts needed to build my future ( inspiring to be) tank tech back plate set-up for the exception of drop weight system. I went everything Apeks. SS back plate, 40lb lift bag, single cylinder adapter plate, one piece web harness, got 2 trim weight pouches for the tank BUT the only thing Im lacking is my waist weight placement. Any recommendations? Ive been thinking the Xdeep drop wieght set-up in hopes that its compatible with the Apeks plate. Any advice woud be appreciated.

Thank You.

P.S. once I build my backplate set-up I will be selling my ScubaPro Hydros BCD in case anyone is interested :)

A rubber free diving belt is what I use.
Simple, cheap and robust.
Check out MAKO

I have some nice zippered pouches that go on the waist strap. I love them so much nicer then a weight belt.

If you have to carry a lot of weight, the DUI weight harness is rather nice. Easily droppable, as well.

use the v weight that mounts in the center of the back plate to keep it centered on your body mas as much as you can. If yo are going to use a dry suit them perhaps one of those DUI weight systems that hang from the shoulders.

Weight belts or pockets are not necessary. Maybe you only need some v weight mounted to the backplate. But it all depends on the type of diving and your exposure suit.:wink:

I don’t dive with any waist weights. I have an OMS SS plate, a Halcyon weighted STA with the SS cam strap buckles, four OMS trim pockets, and a V weight if needed. I also have my own Steel HP 100 cylinders. In fresh water in a dry suit with a steel tank I only need the weighted STA. I had to use a rental AL80 today so added the 3lb v weight.
Salt water in a dry suit is the only time I have needed to put lead in the trim pockets.

I really like having all my weight on my back, it makes it super easy to get in trim. I dive a balanced rig with no droppable weight and have (in test conditions) swam it up from 40ft in a dry suit without adding air to the suit or BC until I got to the surface and orally inflated the BC.

When in cold water, I use a p weight, trim pockets on both cambands and the Hollis 10lbs ditchable pockets. In warm water, just the camband pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom