Carbon Monoxide: Near Miss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CO in Victorian homes (from early gas lighting) has been suggested as the source many ghost sightings. CO poisoning can cause hallucinations. Below is a table from Wikipedia that relates concentration to symptoms. Assuming partial pressure works the same same with CO as other gases ( like Oxygen toxicity), the deeper and longer the dive, worse the effect.

I bet a lot of people got off the boat thinking the had gotten a little seasick when it was mild CO poisoning
827C3979-5F38-4D7E-9ADB-80E32936273D.jpeg

Those numbers in your chart are for surface exposures of course. Breathing a tainted tank at depth multiplies the effects.

I bet a lot of people got off the boat thinking the had gotten a little seasick when it was mild CO poisoning
It's certainly possible, yes. I remember a first day dive with a group sponsored by my LDS to Belize. All of the air breathers got sick, but the Nitrox divers who were on tanks from another shop did not. I didn't know about CO risks then. Now I realize that the dive Op that supplied the air tanks went back and cleaned his compressor. It was the worst Op I've dived with.

Co is odorless and tasteless I know, but with all the gennies going did the air as a whole smell bad you?

DRIS doesn't have it listed anymore and Divenav has gone belly up. It's really a shame, it was a fantastic product. Unfortunately, the guy running the business was a real prick and it seems like he made an effort to alienate customers. He should have tried to sell his product/concept to another company who could have kept selling them.
I’d have bought it, if it was easily available in Europe (it wasn’t when I tried to buy it)

COmeasurement.jpg

Last week, a massive fire several kilometers away, the smoke was clearly visible. I placed the analyzer outside, and it measured a CO elevation.

Sensor is less than $10,- and accuracy is good enough to determine that anything else than 0,0ppm means
-no diving if this is in your gas
-compressor won't run

View attachment 593424

Last week, a massive fire several kilometers away, the smoke was clearly visible. I placed the analyzer outside, and it measured a CO elevation.

Sensor is less than $10,- and accuracy is good enough to determine that anything else than 0,0ppm means
-no diving if this is in your gas
-compressor won't run
It looks like it reads 0.35 ppm CO, which would be negligible, but I doubt that any $10 sensor is that accurate. Maybe so, but I'd be surprised.

It looks like it reads 0.35 ppm CO, which would be negligible, but I doubt that any $10 sensor is that accurate. Maybe so, but I'd be surprised.
It might not be exactly 0.35ppm. However I think it's a safe bet that filling from this air would result in a tank with CO in it. To me, that's a tank I would not dive. All I really need from my CO tester is a Zero/Nonzero indication.

It might not be exactly 0.35ppm. However I think it's a safe bet that filling from this air would result in a tank with CO in it. To me, that's a tank I would not dive. All I really need from my CO tester is a Zero/Nonzero indication.
I would tend to agree not to run the compressors with heavy smoke in the local air, but I don't expect an affordable sensor to be accurate in the 1/1,000,000 range. I consider a 1 ppm reading as a safe mistake.

CO in Victorian homes (from early gas lighting) has been suggested as the source many ghost sightings. CO poisoning can cause hallucinations. Below is a table from Wikipedia that relates concentration to symptoms. Assuming partial pressure works the same same with CO as other gases ( like Oxygen toxicity), the deeper and longer the dive, worse the effect.

I bet a lot of people got off the boat thinking the had gotten a little seasick when it was mild CO poisoningView attachment 591850

The physical impact of those readings seems low to me - without any expert knowledge. If you’re reading 50ppm so 200 ppm I’d wager you’d get more than a slight headache.

Another thing to bear in mind - from memory so please someone correct me if I’m wrong - is that ascent after CO poisoning is also not ideal. Does CO bond to the alveoli tighter than O2 so as well as being poisoned you PPO2 is also dropping...

If I’m mistaken with this anyone with the knowledge please correct me.

Back
Top Bottom