Genesis 2.2 vs Seacraft vs Magnus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know regarding Mexico rjack. I wasn't aware.

Good to know regarding Mexico rjack. I wasn't aware.
Going in anything that they deem "professional" (aka looks expensive) is going to get slapped with arbitrary duties and fees. Cameras, laptops, scooters, video lights - its completely up to them. I have been forced to throw out HID batteries - and even throw out alkaline C cells just to get backup lights on the plane to leave.

Looking like a poor vagabond is definitely the way to go in Mx for many reasons.

@QAQTAT
What is your actual use case for this thing? 122mins at cruise is a LONG time in open water, but without knowing the use case, it's hard to make an actual recommendation.
I'll use in caves. I currently only do OC dives but I'm planning to learn CC next year.

The Seacraft is from Finland. So if you need service you are in for very long shipping times, lots of customs and duties etc.

Genesis is in California. Yes there's still a border for you. BUT you could rent a mailbox in Michigan/NY etc, ground ship the Genesis both ways for FAR less. Then drive it over and back to get it minus the worst duties and border hassles.

Agree on dropping the Magnus from your list unless you can find a mint used one or something. I have a first generation Genesis now with the warpcore 2.2 inside - its brilliant

PS you do NOT want to fly a scooter to MX. There is a very good chance you will be absolutely slammed with duties and fees to even get it into the country. And their TSA is absolutely moronic about batteries so there's a good chance exiting will be super dicey
Clever idea about renting a mailbox! I did think about fly the scooter to MX. Maybe I should just rent one down there...

BTW, how is customer service of Genesis?

I'll use in caves. I currently only do OC dives but I'm planning to learn CC next year.

Buy a Blacktip tech. It will be more than enough for you now. It should be at least 2 years before you need anything resembling a Genesis or Piranha P2 for range purposes and who knows what will happen between now and then. The Blacktip is cheap and will be a perfect backup scooter whenever you outgrow it as a primary.

Buy once, cry once.

Hi QAQTAT,

For those near the border that don't want to get gouged by the shipping companies for customs clearance fees, we can ship it to a FedEx location in the US as "hold for pickup". You are on the honor system to claim it at the border after that.

As for the suggestion to get a cheaper DPV that you are guaranteed to outgrow in a year or two, all the while suffering the clunky speed control, having to recharge the small batteries between dives, having to disassemble it to recharge (which risks contaminating the seals, resulting in it leaking) not having enough thrust for sustained high current situations, being depth limited, having to replace shaft seals and various other issues. Yeah, that's a great idea. :rolleyes:

You may want to do a little more homework on other brands that claim they have external recharging, as you will likely find out that you still have to break the waterproof seal on the hull to access it and failing to reseal it will result in flooding.

...and you might also want to consider how you would ship a large lithium battery back for repair, especially overseas, since any battery over 100Wh requires formal Dangerous Goods declarations for air transport. Doing that requires documented training classes, shipping company approval and that the batteries be UN38.3 tested.

Cheers,
Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom