The unfortunate tale of a place where everybody knows your name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't work. On Seinfeld, Jerry tried that one when he couldn't remember his girlfriend's name!

Rhymes with a part of the female anatomy...

I'm OWD Instructor. I should know the names of my stundents. I should remember them whenever they come back to the school or the pool.
I always admire my Instructor Trainer for her memory remembering names.
This thread makes me so glad that remembering names is hard for many as me.

If it's any consolation, I forgot who you are already.

Comrades, let me tell you a tale, learn and tell your kids.

See this: Mask name

So, I got this habit of displaying my name on the back of my mask to be identifiable in the waters to my instant buddies, whenever it happens (I prefer solo). I don't know if you ever got in a situation where a person you are to dive with looked unique on the boat but underwater among the other divers you can't pick him out? Well, I just wanted to make it easier for people.

The unintended side effect has reared its ugly head. After a winter and spring of not diving, I go back to the dive operator and everybody remembers my name. Hi, Alex, here, hi, Alex, there. Thing is, I don't know their names. So, I am greeted by my name like 6 months after not seeing people and all I can respond is, yeah, hi, ehhh, you. The sad, sad failing of mine. It is like an episode of Cheers where Norm has amnesia.

Hey, Alex!

Rhymes with a part of the female anatomy...

Hey, Delores!

You two know each other?

People I don’t even know recognize me from my “dwarf doubles,” white fins, and hot pink mask strap and Perdix cover. I’ll have people come up at the quarry and introduce themselves. They all usually know my name, but I usually don’t know theirs. I’m also told my voice REALLY carries so they all know when I’m there. :D I’m not the quiet type...

:rofl3:

Them: Remember that dive we did 6 years ago?
Me: It sure was fun!
Them: Six people died? How was that fun?!? :eek:

:D

Missing a leg, I have that issue as well. I do my best but it is a struggle to remember names, I will remember other details perhaps gear used, or where you are from but I will struggle to remember the person's name. :(

I was at Cave East in Luraville, Florida getting my Sidemount tanks filled. They are marked NetDoc so that they don't get mixed up. I pulled up to the bin and was in the middle of analyzing them when three guys came up and asked "Are you really NetDoc?" I'm just glad that they were fans! :D :D :D

ScubaBoard's best feature is the amount of diving we encourage. More dives are planned right here than just about anywhere else. Lot's of friendships, a few romances and even a few marriages. Kinda cool.

I learned a great trick for managing the faux pas of forgetting someone's name from a wise old mentor of mine.

ME - "sorry, I've forgotten your name"
THEM - "oh, it's John" (Mary, Jack, whoever)
ME - "no John, I meant your surname"

Bam, I've found out their first name without offending them.

Works a treat :wink:

When I was teaching I would write all the kids’ names to learn them, seating charts... and I actually got them faster than most. But I am normally terrible with them, so co-workers were a big problem....

Back
Top Bottom