bag drag or CUN-CZM via air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, age old question but with a viral twist in this new age. I don't think I'd agree with the assumption that the ferry will be crowded and the plane will be empty. I haven't used the plane but most accounts I've heard had it pretty full. My gf has taken it twice and all seats filled. I've been on a few crowded ferries but usually it's a light load and you can always sit outside with a breeze to blow that virus away.

As for reliability, I'd go with bus/ferry any day. They will operate in weather that will shut down the small plane. Planes have been known to cancel for mechanical issues but never been a problem with the bus or ferry. They have enough equipment to send another bus or ferry in it's place. Also, there were rumors of the air service shutting down even before the virus. Have you confirmed if they are actually flying right now?

No, I haven’t confirmed yet. Just looked on their website and there’s not much updates there. I’ll take a better look when I’m closer to actually flying.

My impression of the ferries comes mainly from online pics I saw of it, and they have always appeared full to the brim. But it’s highly possible that that’s just for advertising! And that one other time I walked past it while strolling along 5th Avenue - also pretty crowded that time.

will it be like the button with the red and green lights? Those things already make me nervous enough without the added possibility of a rectal thermometer.

:rofl3:

Just imagining someone getting the red light after hitting the button and... "no no Nooooo!!"

No, I haven’t confirmed yet. Just looked on their website and there’s not much updates there. I’ll take a better look when I’m closer to actually flying.

My impression of the ferries comes mainly from online pics I saw of it, and they have always appeared full to the brim. But it’s highly possible that that’s just for advertising! And that one other time I walked past it while strolling along 5th Avenue - also pretty crowded that time.

Pre-corona everything was crowded. It's not going to be like that for awhile. As I said, I've been on crowded ferries, mostly early morning or late afternoon when a lot of locals are going to/from work.

I have no info on the current state of Maya Air. Last fall they had issues, owner died, many flights canceled without notice, rumors of going out of business, complaints about poor customer service, allegations of poor maintenance, etc. Supposedly, a new player bought them out just before corona hit. I'm not sure if they ever got running or if they had the liquidity to deal with something like this right off the bat. They may be perfectly fine. Perhaps someone has used them recently and can give an account? I'm just saying I'd find out first before planning on that option.

On the other hand, I'd feel confident even now in planning on a bus/shuttle/taxi plus a ferry option.

Pre-corona everything was crowded. It's not going to be like that for awhile. As I said, I've been on crowded ferries, mostly early morning or late afternoon when a lot of locals are going to/from work.

I have no info on the current state of Maya Air. Last fall they had issues, owner died, many flights canceled without notice, rumors of going out of business, complaints about poor customer service, allegations of poor maintenance, etc. Supposedly, a new player bought them out just before corona hit. I'm not sure if they ever got running or if they had the liquidity to deal with something like this right off the bat. They may be perfectly fine. Perhaps someone has used them recently and can give an account? I'm just saying I'd find out first before planning on that option.

That’s good info I did not know. Thanks.

That’s good info I did not know. Thanks.

There is/was also a private plane charter service operated by a guy that lives in Coz. I can't remember the name offhand. It was pretty pricy as I recall, something like $600 each way with 4-6 pax. As I recall he didn't operate scheduled service or sell tickets per seat. If you have the right sized group to split costs and want a premium experience, it may be an option. Or if you have a need to "get there from here" quickly and money is no object.

There is/was also a private plane charter service operated by a guy that lives in Coz. I can't remember the name offhand. It was pretty pricy as I recall, something like $600 each way with 4-6 pax. As I recall he didn't operate scheduled service or sell tickets per seat. If you have the right sized group to split costs and want a premium experience, it may be an option. Or if you have a need to "get there from here" quickly and money is no object.

Hahaha, unfortunately, money is an object. Having my salary reduced and my job in question, and only the 2 of us travelling, $600 each way seems a bit of a splurge.

However, it’s an option for sure for bigger groups. Thanks.

Hey @Kimela, I’m cool with @BoundForElsewhere. I know this board fairly well and knew what I was getting back to when I came back. It hasn’t changed.

Been there, done that, with dealing with the snark. I can be rather thin-skinned anyway, so I pick and choose what to read and respond to (I understand this wasn't an option for you). I'm happy to say I've connected with a few really good folks here that I now consider 'friends'. Here's to hoping for more of the 'calm' encounters now and in the future. :)

Hahaha, unfortunately, money is an object. Having my salary reduced and my job in question, and only the 2 of us travelling, $600 each way seems a bit of a splurge.

However, it’s an option for sure for bigger groups. Thanks.

My feelings as well. From the site it looks like it might be as low as $90/pp with the right configuration. Too much for pure transportation. Their main business is aerial tours so if you view it in those terms it might be more palatable. I'm sure he would fly you low along the mainland coastline and perhaps a loop around the island for sightseeing. I think the guy's name is Leo and I've seen him post on FB.

I am partial to the bag drag but in fairness I have not used Mayair. Also, my luggage is manageable(dive bag, carryon, and small personal bag) especially with the help of the trike guys who shuttle luggage between the bus station/taxi drop-off to/from the ferry.

Oops - For me, a private shuttle and ferry would be less risky than an enclosed plane and another airport to deal with. Also, if it is a nice day, you can sit outside on the ferry.

With that said, options from the airport to the ferry would be the ADO bus or a private shuttle such as Canada Transfers. If it is just you and the ADO times fit your schedule, I would use ADO. The ADO bus will pick you up outside the terminal.

If times do not align or if there or two or more of you, I would use a private shuttle. You can make reservations in advance and they are waiting on you when you exit the terminal.

Check the ADO and ferry websites for times to fit your schedule.

Good luck and have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom