Coroner's report on 2018 Rebreather fatality - Stoney Cove, UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@clownfishsydney My post was in reference to your report where you noted how the breathing rate was clearly higher than normal at the the beginning and throughout the dive. While such people ideally should not be diving, if they could monitor their breathing rate trend during the dive, they may be able to notice such trends early enough to at least question it and abort the dive. I think it is possible on some computers though not all.
Certainly on her computer you could see how long the remaining air would last in minutes. I think this is the case for most, if not all, air integrated computers. If the number of minutes all of a sudden went down, then you would know something was wrong. However, most experienced divers can tell when they are using air a lot quicker than normal. I know I can.

Thanks Michael, very interesting papers on this important topic.

While IPE/IPO is starting to become known amongst the SCUBA community, it seems utterly unknown in the skin diving spearfishing community vs Shallow Water Blackout, which at least has had an awareness campaign in Australia.

Mods, maybe we should create a new thread to discuss IPE and keep this Coroner's report thread on-topic?

I started a thread on Diver Guidance for Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE) or Oedema (IPO) as known in UK It was originally in the Basic forum to gain max exposure to divers but The Mod's saw fit to tuck it away in the Dive Medicine Forum - which while technically correct, is less frequented and a shame because of the information contained.

It has the BSAC guidance for awareness, causes, recognition and treatment - thus an easy read.

It's my personal opinion this should be more widely shared given our understanding that it may have been a primary cause in fatalities is only recently being understood

Back
Top Bottom