Prescriptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, it's being treated like an opioid (which it isn't).

No, it's not being treated like an opioid. It's being treated like the controlled substance it has always been. It is considerably less-regulated than opioids.

It's definitely not illegal to bring prescribed meds into Mexico

It depends on the medication. It is most definitely illegal to bring some prescriptions, and even some nonprescription drugs, into Mexico.

the one thing that can get people into trouble is OTC Benadryl (from what I have read)

No, diphenhydramine is readily available all over Mexico.

Pseudoephedrine, even in combination products and even with a prescription, is illegal to bring into Mexico or to have in your possession there.

If I bring anything like that to CZM, it's only one or two pills.

Again, diphenhydramine is fine. Smuggling in an illegal drug, even as "only one or two pills", can still get you into serious trouble.

I might get into a little trouble if I brought lorazepam back to the USA, but I doubt it if I have a prescription - even from a MX doc.

There's no "a little trouble" bringing illegal controlled substances into the US. However, it's perfectly legal to bring medication for which you have a prescription as long as the drug isn't banned in the US.

I believe it is a controlled substance in Mexico not an outlawed substance.

You are mistaken.

If you get a prescription for it I think you would be ok

No.

alot of people travel with controlled substance with prescription in Mexico.

That's true for medications that aren't inherently illegal in Mexico.

I get my doctor to write one every year and the pharmacy attach it to the box for years.

You don't need a prescription for pseudoephedrine in most countries. Having one in Mexico will make no difference.

I have never been stopped so i cannot say if it works or not. But logic tell me it should.

Logic doesn't trump reality.

There's no "a little trouble" bringing illegal controlled substances into the US.
Actually, there can be. A couple of friends of mine got caught by a drug sniffing dog at a checkpoint in extreme south Texas with a very small amount of marijuana. After getting a stern talking to by a DEA agent less than half their age, they were let go.

Not legal advice but...put a rubber band around the box with a couple $20 bills folded in there. If the customs "officer" looks funny at the box, just nod and smile. The 20's will disappear and you will likely be on your way. It has worked before. Can't guarantee it will work again. Then again, the 20's may disappear right before the handcuffs come out. :wink:

Best advice is to find another decongestant that is not illegal.

I'm sure some people are wondering why pseudoephedrine is illegal and it's because it's used in making Meth. I don't know how much is needed in the process but the knee jerk reaction is to ban it all.

Well I am glad I read this post, me and my daughter both take Sudafed before diving and would definitely had taken some with us. Can anyone recommend a good decongestant that is not illegal to take into Mexico?

Well I am glad I read this post, me and my daughter both take Sudafed before diving and would definitely had taken some with us. Can anyone recommend a good decongestant that is not illegal to take into Mexico?
Nope. I just have to risk it. I wish I had a better answer.

Agree with DandyDon.

I've had some fairly serious ear issues in the past, and have had extensive conversations with both my primary care and ENT. Both said the same thing; pseudoephedrine is the gold standard.

See my posts #'s 15 and 16 on page 2.

But if you're bound and determined to avoid that tiny risk, I'd travel with Flonase, Qnasel, Nasacort, Afrin (either formulation), and pick up some Mometasona from Ahorro.

See if there's one or a combination that works for you and your daughter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom