bag drag or CUN-CZM via air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I cannot resist the urge to plan my next vacation to Coz. Hearing of re-openings this week has caused me great eagerness to plan something. However, Toronto does not have direct flights into Coz until October at the earliest. I can't wait that long. I'm thinking of traveling maybe in July, August, or September. I do not want to transit through the US - I figure one less border to deal with, the better. So it looks like YYZ-CUN is the better option, but how do I get to CZM? Bag drag or via air? I'm curious which might be "safer". Being stuck in a small plane with less than 20 people for 20 minutes? Or being stuck on a ferry with I have no idea how many other people for 45 (?) minutes? Maybe it doesn't really matter and I'm overthinking this. After all, I would have been stuck with I don't know how many people on a plane for 4 hours from YYZ! Any thoughts? Just trying to reduce the risks, that's all.

oh lord. the ADO bus is right outside the terminal at CUN. The bus station at Playa is right across the street from the ferry to COZ. All together takes maybe 2 hours at most if you miss the connections.

How much are you packing, anyways? There is absolutely nothing unsafe about the bus or ferry. Wear a mask, touch as little surfaces as possible, wash your hands, and don't lick anything.

oh lord. the ADO bus is right outside the terminal at CUN. The bus station at Playa is right across the street from the ferry to COZ. All together takes maybe 2 hours at most if you miss the connections.

How much are you packing, anyways? There is absolutely nothing unsafe about the bus or ferry. Wear a mask, touch as little surfaces as possible, wash your hands, and don't lick anything.

Please if this is the kind of attitude you want to display please don't answer. Members like you are why I stay away and you once again prove that I should've stayed away.

Can't get straight answers that aren't filled with pissy attitude. And from someone from NYC! Oh Lord!

Wow. No pissiness intended but I do see now how it came across that way. Sorry to have offended you.

Please if this is the kind of attitude you want to display please don't answer. Members like you are why I stay away and you once again prove that I should've stayed away.

Can't get straight answers that aren't filled with pissy attitude. And from someone from NYC! Oh Lord!
Well, his attitude was meant in jest I think, and what he said is close to accurate. The buses leaving Cancun are right outside, they are clean & air conditioned, and the drive takes just a little over an hour. Hint: I try to use the restroom before grabbing my luggage, but I think there is one on the bus.

At the Play del Carmen bus station, there will be tricycle porters to help with your luggage and show you the way to the ferry dock two or three blocks away. Google maps can show you more. There are two ferry companies and your best choice is a one-way ticket on the next one leaving. They have only been running twice a day during the isolation orders but should pick up to every hour or two soon. It's about a 45 minute ride to Cozumel depending on the weather usually, there will be porters who will meet your boat, then a short walk to the taxi stand. Ask the driver how much to your hotel before loading and compare that to the sign. Pesos are always the cheapest way to pay if you can hit a bank owned ATM back at the airport and draw some.

The only problem that rarely comes up is a Tropical system/hurricane, but while those are rare, they are possible. If the ferry ride is rough, look for an outside seat. Plan your return to Cancun with extra time in case you miss a connection, and have a nice trip.

000.JPG

Wow. No pissiness intended but I do see now how it came across that way. Sorry to have offended you.

This is the internet. I cannot see your intentions. I can only read what you write for their literal meaning. If you start your response with “oh lord” (used to express shock, frustration or annoyance) and end with “don’t lick anything” (oh great so you think I’m an idiot too), how should I respond?

Unfortunately, this board is full of such snarkiness and I thought you were trying to give me some in response to my pretty innocent question.

@DandyDon, but what about the crowd situation on the ferries? Every picture I see of the ferries there’s a chaotic crowd of people trying to get on and off, whereas there are only a couple of people on the flights. That’s why I thought a flight might be better.

ndyDon, but what about the crowd situation on the ferries? Every picture I see of the ferries there’s a chaotic crowd of people trying to get on and off, whereas there are only a couple of people on the flights. That’s why I thought a flight might be better.
It's impossible to say in such uncertain times. In normal times, it's all very orderly with ferry employees to assist. I have never had a bad or rough ride, and I have crossed several times when I had to fly into Cancun or when I wanted to dive cenotes and see ruins on the peninsula. We're hoping things work out well long before a July or August visit.

I don't know anything about the planes other than they are very limited on luggage. Stay tuned as we will be hearing many reports before your trip.

The ferries will be mostly empty…but just twice a day. From CUN airport should be no problem. Hope you don't get stuck in Playa Del Carmen. If you can get Mayair flight in a reasonable time frame GO FOR IT

Dave Dillehay

Reasonable response and on point!

folks that get insulted over the net should very well stay away from it...it’s the Wild West still :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom