Albino Nurse Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoodShot! What causes Sharks to become albinos?

Good question, not a ton of information on these, but from what I was able to find it appears to be caused by "a blocked gene crucial to pigment formation" -- and some think that blocked gene could be caused by malnutrition of the mother.

maybe they will become like the pink dolphins of the amazon.

i wonder if the lack of pigmentation helps or hinders their survivability

maybe they will become like the pink dolphins of the amazon.

i wonder if the lack of pigmentation helps or hinders their survivability

From what I've read (so beware it's second hand info, I'm no scientist so it maybe a load of non-sense) : albinos are very rare, because their particularity make them easy target for predators, as they are easily spotted. Among herds, other animal of the group tend to chase or even kill them, as they attract attention on the group.

Albinism defeats camouflage, making creatures easier to see in their vulnerable, juvenile stage. It's generally seen as decreasing survival odds.

In humans, albinism increases risk for UV-damage from sunlight.

In the pet industry, albino red-eared slider turtles are sometimes visually impaired as young juveniles (I've not been reading up on the pet turtle hobby for awhile, but did often years ago).

Don't know much about the pink dolphins of the Amazon, but it's worth noting the Amazon is a muddy river, not a high-viz. environment.

To long at depth without sun exposure will cause things to become less tanned aka white...... sorry couldn't resist.

To be serious, I believe its a genetic trait that both parents must have for it to take effect. Not completely sure but I remeber reading that somewhere.

True albinism is a genetic trait known as oculocutaneous albinism where the skin, hair, pupils, etc completely lack melanin. In reptiles this is known as amelanism. There are other types where individuals lack other pigments (ex. anerythrism for lacking red pigments). The nurse shark in the images may be some form of albino, but like formernuke said, it could also be lighter in color from just staying in deeper waters for much of its life, since sharks are known to tan when exposed to sunlight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom