Trip Report Back in the high life again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, when we get to dive together we'll trade off so one of us at least is always carrying a camera.

22C would have me in a 7mm with a hood for comfortable multiple dives.

I would need a shorty for two dives. I might need a hood in a few years, as I am not as much of a furnace as I used to be.

What a difference a day makes. Went out on a 2 tanker with Loggerhead this morning with Capt Jim and Mate Josh. Just 5 divers on the boat.

A beautiful, warm, sunny day. Seas 2-3 feet, mostly 2. First dive was on the 75, Visibility was at least 80 feet, crystal clear, I could see my flag from the bottom. Two nice Loggerheads, all the usual reef fish, highlight was a Bull Shark that hung out with me for a minute or more, beautiful. Second dive was on Lynn's Reef/Castle Ledge. Visibility continued to be excellent, water temp was a little warmer today, 81-2 degrees. The reef was covered by all the usual reef fish including large schools of Horse Eye Jacks, Spadefish and Chub. A couple of Loggerheads, Nurse Sharks, nice Lemon Shark at the end of the dive.

A great day of diving, doesn't get a lot better. 4 days down, 8 to go. Predictions are very good through Friday :). Solidly, back in the high life

I think that lemon is stalking you...

Day 7 of 12. It was raining heavily when I got up this morning. Went out on another 2 tanker with Loggerhead out of Boynton Beach with Capt Jim and Mate Josh. The conditions improved all day to mostly sunny. Seas were up a bit, solid 2-3, occasional bigger. There was a mild to moderate north current, water temp was down to 77 outside, 79 inside. Visibility was a bit down, maybe 50 ft outside, 40-50 feet inside.

1st dive was at one of my favorites on the outside, Sharkie's Ledge. Got off to a rough start, I knocked Josh's dark glasses off with my flag, fortunately was able to retrieve them before they sank too much. After delivering the glasses, the boat took off with my reef hook caught on the ladder. Fortunately, the mistake was realized and I got my reel back. After the poor start, the rest of the dive was uneventful, though not as good as it often is. A couple of Loggerhead, a Nurse Shark, and all the usual reef fish.

The second dive started uneventfully at Briney Breezes to Lynn's Reef and Castle Ledge. This turned out to be a very good dive with 4 or 5 Loggerhead, Several Nurse Sharks, several Lemon Sharks and all the usual reef fish. Just as I was finishing my hour of bottom time, I came upon a huge school of Horse Eye Jacks and then a large school of Bermuda Chub. The large school of Spadefish was cream. Then, a large Lemon Shark decided it was OK to swim with it for several minutes. I apologized to JIm and Josh for my extra bottom time.

Wow, what a day. Dive 1 points out you have to be ready for anything. Dive 2 points out you have to be prepared to be dazzled by any dive. Go down, swim around, you will see the absolutely most amazing things.

There are more Lemon Sharks here than is the normal for Boynton Beach. This happened at least once before. I don't remember the year. I have seen Lemon Shark every day if not almost every dive. I am the beneficiary of this, don't know the explanation.

Day 7 of 12. It was raining heavily when I got up this morning. Went out on another 2 tanker with Loggerhead out of Boynton Beach with Capt Jim and Mate Josh. The conditions improved all day to mostly sunny. Seas were up a bit, solid 2-3, occasional bigger. There was a mild to moderate north current, water temp was down to 77 outside, 79 inside. Visibility was a bit down, maybe 50 ft outside, 40-50 feet inside.

1st dive was at one of my favorites on the outside, Sharkie's Ledge. Got off to a rough start, I knocked Josh's dark glasses off with my flag, fortunately was able to retrieve them before they sank too much. After delivering the glasses, the boat took off with my reef hook caught on the ladder. Fortunately, the mistake was realized and I got my reel back. After the poor start, the rest of the dive was uneventful, though not as good as it often is. A couple of Loggerhead, a Nurse Shark, and all the usual reef fish.

The second dive started uneventfully at Briney Breezes to Lynn's Reef and Castle Ledge. This turned out to be a very good dive with 4 or 5 Loggerhead, Several Nurse Sharks, several Lemon Sharks and all the usual reef fish. Just as I was finishing my hour of bottom time, I came upon a huge school of Horse Eye Jacks and then a large school of Bermuda Chub. The large school of Spadefish was cream. Then, a large Lemon Shark decided it was OK too swim with it for several minutes. I apologized to JIm and Josh for my extra bottom time.

Wow, what a day. Dive 1 points out you have to be ready for anything. Dive 2 points out you have to be prepared to be dazzled by any dive. Go down, swim around, you will see the absolutely most amazing things.
Another nice report- Thanks!

Welcome back!

Hey Jim:

The Boynton Beach dive ops all require the diver to carry their own float? Hummm—on a drift dive? Do all ops South of Boynton inlet work the dive that way? I am used to diving and letting the dive master carry the flag while I enjoy the fish.

Thanks

Hey Jim:

The Boynton Beach dive ops all require the diver to carry their own float? Hummm—on a drift dive? Do all ops South of Boynton inlet work the dive that way? I am used to diving and letting the dive master carry the flag while I enjoy the fish.

Thanks
Yes, but the boats provide the floats for you. One float per person if diving solo, or one per buddy pair or one per small group diving together. Boynton boats don't typically put a DM in the water with you. You get a dive brief and then do your dive.
Up in West Palm/Riviera, the dive op puts a DM in the water and they handle the float- you just need to stick with the DM. But should always carry your own reel and DSMB in the event of separation.

You obviously know how West Palm works- you are there- I just added that for other people's reference who may read this.

The second dive started uneventfully at Briney Breezes to Lynn's Reef and Castle Ledge. This turned out to be a very good dive with 4 or 5 Loggerhead, Several Nurse Sharks, several Lemon Sharks and all the usual reef fish. Just as I was finishing my hour of bottom time, I came upon a huge school of Horse Eye Jacks and then a large school of Bermuda Chub. The large school of Spadefish was cream. Then, a large Lemon Shark decided it was OK too swim with it for several minutes. I apologized to JIm and Josh for my extra bottom time.

Craig, what exposure protection have you chosen to use and how is it working for you? Seems like water temps have been pretty consistent the first week, with the exception of the 77 degrees you experienced today.

Hey Jim:

Thanks

There are pros & cons both ways. Sometimes it’s nice to have a guide carry the flag but it’s also nice to carry your own and truly own the dive. This is why I do both and divide my time between Jupiter/Palm Beach and Boynton/Delray/Boca.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom