Quiz - 12 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

Hypoxia results when the diver's carbon dioxide level cannot accumulate to a level high enough to st

• a. True

• b. False

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If memory serves me, CO2 above about 5% in your breathing gas will prevent CO2 from disassociating from your hemoglobin, causing it to build up. I believe CO2 build up in the dead spaces of cheap full face snorkel masks is suspected of causing drownings. Since OC air is breathed only once, it would be impossible.

The reason why CO2 drives the stimulus to breathe is because in its dissolved form, in the blood, it affects the blood's Ph...the higher the CO2 concentration the more acidic the blood becomes, the stimulus to breathe is not to increase oxygen concentration but instead to rid the body of CO2..
Even if I'm an incurable nerd, I have to admit that the reason that elevated CO2 levels trigger the breathing reflex isn't very much important to me.

Too high CO2 levels = breathing reflex. If that's due to a decreased pH level in my blood or something more esoteric could hardly bother me. At all.

Even if I'm an incurable nerd, I have to admit that the reason that elevated CO2 levels trigger the breathing reflex isn't very much important to me.

Too high CO2 levels = breathing reflex. If that's due to a decreased pH level in my blood or something more esoteric could hardly bother me. At all.

Great....but if you look a little closer I was not responding to/addressing any comments or questions you had...it is also why I quoted the person who's question I responded to.

Thanks for your feed back though, it was very constructive.

-Z

if you look a little closer I was not responding to/addressing any comments or questions you had
I apologize profusely. I wasn't as much replying to you as I was trying to provide yet another outlook. Again, my apologies. It won't happen again. *unsubscribing*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom