Traditional vs. Apeks Griplock Cambands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After replacing my Apeks Black Ice BCD on March by a Tecline BPW set, I was finally able to test it today in the water.

Everything was top notch with the exception of the cambands. I was used to Apeks Griplock cambands that I had on the BCD (link below) and these traditional cambands required a lot of effort in comparison.

Apeks Grip Lock Tank Band

As such, I am planning two buy to griplock cambands and replace the ones that were part of my wing set.

As far as I could tell (reading through the GUE standards), there are not specific requirements regarding the cambands. Can anyone please confirm me this?

Thanks.

They are a bit, but very easy to use.

I already sold by old BCD, so will have to buy new ones.

I cannot provide any info regarding GUE standards, but I can say that I really like the GripLock bands. I've had them on my current, soft plate, setup for about 50 dives and really like em. So much so, that my new SS plate has them (just waiting on my wing to start diving it).

At £39.00 each, plus a 2-3 month waiting list (according to that ad), I'd just stick with the bands that came on the new BC.
But that's me. :wink:

Aqualung also sell an identical Griplock camband. The only difference being the logo on the buckle.

The Scubapro camband buckle is also good, but the Griplock is much much better.

It was just to show which they were. I can get them faster through other dealers.

Yeah, I would imagine so. But my point remains......why ??
We're just talking about tank bands, right? You're looking at a friggin' $100 US, probably plus tax and shipping.
they're just tank bands, how good can they actually get ?

As far as I could tell (reading through the GUE standards), there are not specific requirements regarding the cambands. Can anyone please confirm me this?
Thanks.

You didn't buy Halcyon gear so it's automatically not GUE approved...

On a lighter note, use what you like. Switch to something different if you find deficiency in the reliability or function. Tradiditional cam bands do not require much effort at all. If you struggle to close or open the cam band, there is something wrong in the process. I'm 5'5 with chopstick sized biceps and I do not have any problem correctly closing and opening the old school stainless steel cam bands of my BCD.

Lifting doubles on a table, that's a different matter..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom