Computer choice for Euro divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it safe to assume that the Core is a bit budget friendly version of the Steel? Or is the steel worthy upgrade over the Core?

Without delving deep into the specifications, it's my understanding that really the only difference between the core and the Steel is that the Steel has a greater depth rating

Currently the Core has the newer firmware, with Fused RGMB 2, which supposedly offers some slight improvements over the current Fused RGBM. However since I can only "dive it" on the planner, I can't see and drastic differences

My understanding of the future is that the reason for only putting Buhlmann on the Steel, is to give some seperation between their flagship machine and the core. But its been 2 years since the announcement and as yet nothing for the Steel has arrived (although with the core's firmware update, it shouldn't be far off (fingers crossed)

I have 2 frustrations with the Eon, which I wish they'd sort

The first is for displaying 2 gasses simultaneously for Sidemount which it can't do and which things like the Ratio and the Shearwater can do. Obv if you're not SM this isn't really an issues, but it would for instance be "nice" to see say your pony etc.

I wish you could force the computer into sleep mode with a button press rather than waiting for the water sensor to dry. Its a peculiarity that affects us with our high heat, humidity and increased salinity that the computer can remain on draining the battery - it doesn't affect people in normal climates, but I would like to have control of turning my screen off on the surface

There has been some disappointment by some Eon users that were expecting firmware updates yearly - certainly there was an expectation that Suunto would be always updating this computer and improving it, but to be honest there's nothing fundimentally wrong with it, and most updates would have little real benefit other than a new feature to mess with

Thanks for your writeups.

So currently I'm tossed up between the OSTC Sport and the Core. But I'll try and test them out if I can, so I can make a better decision.
I like the more readable screen on the suunto, but from what I've seen the screen on the OSTC is also really good.

Pricewise they're similar.

And on the other side, 80m is quite enough, I'll try and see if I can get a good price on the Steel, but I don't think I'll be trimixing up to 100m any time soon. I'm more interested in the visibility for night dives and low visibility dives (which are 90% of my dives) I love mu cressi due to the awesome visibility in daytime, but the light during night dives is acceptable, but I need to activate it, I'd wish they've added a lumed backing to the screen so I can flash my light over it.

As for sidemounting, I'll probably won't be getting into that. more along the line of doubles and such, and as I've said I don't care for AI at this point, but I might change my mind when I get older.

Can you chime in for the compass on the eon if you use it? I know that the vyper has a so so compass, is it good enough to leave my analog at home?

Can you chime in for the compass on the eon if you use it? I know that the vyper has a so so compass, is it good enough to leave my analog at home?

I hate digital compasses. The Eon one has is a poor colour with the cardinal points not great to read. In the centre it has a degree readout, which means you either need to mark a point or do some mental calculations underwater . Also not a fan of the Perdix one either.

Yes the drift indicators are nice but for me, not nice enough to use as a primary

My preference is my analogue SK8 easy to read, real simple to set up reciprocal headings with a quick twist of a bezaland follow - I have mine attached to my pointing stick which I hold in front of me as my preference to having it on my arm

But everyone is different - I would say, carry your analogue one at first and then make your own decisions based on your preferences

Hi
If I may say, consider the Divesofy Freedom.
Easy to read, vibration, set GF as you like, use it as gas analyser.
Upgradable.
Bombproof.
If needed, fast and easy help from Divesoft in a country near yours :)
But no compass, no AI and don't forget to rince the buttons after diving in sea water :)
And one last point, you got a nice patina after many many dives (the silicone cover doesn't last and it is not needed :))

Hi
If I may say, consider the Divesofy Freedom.
Easy to read, vibration, set GF as you like, use it as gas analyser.
Upgradable.
Bombproof.
If needed, fast and easy help from Divesoft in a country near yours :)
But no compass, no AI and don't forget to rince the buttons after diving in sea water :)
And one last point, you got a nice patina after many many dives (the silicone cover doesn't last and it is not needed :))

That's one of the considerations, it is on par with Perdix/ Eon Steel in pricing.

And considering that the reviews say thr Suunto has the best digital compass, and Dubai from experience is not quite fond of it, maybe a compass in a computer is not such a great idea. I've had some digital compasses but they never worked as good.

And where we dive compass is a must, because there is no way of navigation apart from it. No visual references or such.

I'll contact them and inqure about the support for countries that don't have distribution.

Please don't take my views on digital compasses as definitive. It's my preference

I dive in generally bright conditions. I'm also over 50. A 20 or 30s might prefer digital If it was really dark I may chose a digital one as my primary

I do use the Eon compass to record a base point on some dives, but then I prefer the SK8. The Digital compass is there as a back up - idiot check

When digital compasses first appeared on computers, they were a marketing tool, to "encourage" people to upgrade or buy the next model up

It's nice having a digital compass as a redundant backup, but for me personally it wouldn't be my primary

I wouldn't personally base my PDC choose on a compass or not. It's a nice to have for sure, but there are more important choices IMO

No worries. I completely understood your point.

After some considerations I will probably go with the OSTC Sport in the end. After some mails between me and their support. They are most open for solving problems over the air. And you need to ship the computer only in few instances.

Suunto, has a dealer in my country but it looks like the problem is that it's only for running watches and not dive watches. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Divesoft are also cool, and they have a service center in Hungary, but looking at it pricewise, OSTC is cheaper and more feature packed.

I am sure the OSTC will give you also good satisfaction.

I hope so. It's ordered.

it was a tough call between them, it ended up due to the price difference.

OSTC Sport was 500eur shipped w taxes, and the equivalent Freedom is the Advanced Nitorx and it was 715eur. And the OSTC has a compass, which is a nice feature.
While on the Freedom, I doubt I'll get into CCR diving at all. so currently a nice readable nitrox computer that I can upgrade to a trimix one is good to have.

Also, the user replaceable battery sounds great.

quite steep IMHO.

For service is similar, only the price was the factor. I'll update on my impressions when they arrive.

Back
Top Bottom