Rec Diving a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't help but wonder how many people have actually tried an air sharing ascent while breathing from one of these. Attempting to breath from the same place you have to dump you BCD from while coordinating two persons buoyancy. All I had to do was describe this to my wife and she was on board for going to necklaced octo and primary donate. Even have here on a 5' primary now.

It is trivial to accomplish. Simply a training/practice issue.

I can't help but wonder how many people have actually tried an air sharing ascent while breathing from one of these. Attempting to breath from the same place you have to dump you BCD from while coordinating two persons buoyancy. All I had to do was describe this to my wife and she was on board for going to necklaced octo and primary donate. Even have here on a 5' primary now.
I specifically configured my gear with an air 2 during my rescue course so I could get experience doing this if I was going to use one. I didn't find it to be a noticeable hinderence personally.

Back when I had an Air2 clone, I had no problem with air sharing ascents. You do not have to take a breath from where you dump air, unless you want to. The modern Air 2 has a pull dump and a manual shoulder dump, before the pull dump there was a shoulder dump on the few I ran across. Have you ever used or serviced one?

When we switched to a BP/W, I tried a number of configurations and decided on a 40+" hose on my primary and bungeed backup. My buddy stayed with his usual, standard rec primary hose with his Air2. We were doing a lot of deep diving on a project of ours and practiced a number of air share ascents. The main reason for the practice was narcosis and depth, which was not a factor in our usual diving.

I have, multiple times!

...because "buddies" are notorously undependable. Don't believe it?

Yes I believe you and it is merely a result of poor training. But that is what I wrote. So, you can add more gear (which increases task loading), or dive with people with better training, your choice.

Please define REC diving?

I do 30-40m dives with mandatory deco and call it recreational diving. It’s what I was taught to do as part of core training.

I dont believe any certification agency would define recreational diving to include mandatory decompression.

Yes I believe you and it is merely a result of poor training. But that is what I wrote. So, you can add more gear (which increases task loading), or dive with people with better training, your choice.

I choose both. When I do buddy dive it is with buddies with solid training and experience. In that instance I leave the pony bottle at home. When I'm not able to dive with a competent buddy I properly equip myself for solo diving.

I don't see it as an either/or but rather as a both are viable options depending upon the specific dive. That may be exactly what you're say but just wanted to clarify.

I dont believe any certification agency would define recreational diving to include mandatory decompression.

This is an old discussion that comes up every now and then. In the US and elsewhere, the term "recreational diving" in general usage means no staged decompression.

Some people divide diving up into military diving, scientific diving, commercial diving and recreational diving. So recreational diving by that definition means that no one is paying you to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom