Long-hose in the time of COVID-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like where I walked through the three different options above, separated by bullet points?

Yes, I'm assuming that a diver trained to donate the regulator in their mouth is going to respond better to the regulator in their mouth being taken, as their standard response to an ooa diver includes the regulator in their mouth being taken and them switching to the secondary rapidly than a diver who has not trained for that scenario.

Are you going to suggest that a diver who trains to not have their primary given is going to respond better to having their primary taken?

That works for every training group that teaches donating a reg. It doesn't for the one agency that teaches taking a reg.
With the exception of GUI what other agency mandates the teaching of primary donate from a long hose?

Just because an agency permits its instructors to teach the method doesn’t mean it will be taught.

In a liability case it’s the instructor(s) who would have to proof it was the correct OOG response for recreational diving.

With the exception of GUI what other agency mandates the teaching of primary donate from a long hose?

Just because an agency permits its instructors to teach the method doesn’t mean it will be taught.

In a liability case it’s the instructor(s) who would have to it was the correct OOG response for recreational diving.
Re-read what I said.

There was no mention of primary vs secondary donate in that statement. That was a statement about teaching take vs donate.

Re-read what I said.

There was no mention of primary vs secondary donate in that statement. That was a statement about teaching take vs donate.
That’s OK then as BSAC teach secondary take and donate. The reason take is there is because in real OOG situations (evidenced from BSAC incident reports) the donor quite often isn’t aware their buddy has an issue until the reg is taken.

That’s OK then as BSAC teach secondary take and donate. The reason take is there is because in real OOG situations (evidenced from BSAC incident reports) the donor quite often isn’t aware their buddy has an issue until the reg is taken.
How does BSAC teach handling the primary reg being taken?

Like where I walked through the three different options above, separated by bullet points?

I a man asking for more detail on what ‘adapt’ means in each case

Are you going to suggest that a diver who trains to not have their primary given is going to respond better to having their primary taken?

No, they will drown equally, neither has been trained to have a regulator taken from their mouth.

Understand that I think the claim that a plan based on a primary regulator being stolen is bravado, demonstrating the ruffly tufty hardness of the proposer, not a reasonable response based on risk assessments and data,

This is an disadvantage of primary donate, however there is a fine mitigation in place which is not having panicking OOG divers because the agencies that teach it also push teamwork, gas planning and being generally competent. They don’t need to cater for this risk as it is designed out.

On the other hand, we have self taught (PD) people getting into the water with people who learned to dive over a couple of weekends. They (the self taught PDers) seem to feel the need to proclaim this risk as an advantage.

When I dive OC for fun, with proper buddies, I dive hog looped with a long hose. I expect that they will not run out of gas, and if they do to ask for gas as briefed. Without proper buddies I swap over so I breath the backup as a primary and stow the 7ft secondary as an octopus, I can donate it or have it taken with no drama, as far as the buddy or anyone else in the water is concerned it is just another octopus.

Having people argue for PD using rubbish assertions is not helpful. There are real advantages, stick with those, but understand there are disadvantages too.

That seems a little long. I'd first check the hose routing from the left post first stage. 1) is the hose in the best available port?, 2) is your regulator hose positioned above the wing hose coming from your right post?, 3) check the hose is not impeded by any other components and has free movement from 1st to 2nd stage.

I checked all that. I actually bought many hoses of different lengths and I keep coming back to the 28” for comfort and usability.

I can finally understand the reason for GI's rants in the old days. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom