Where do people do research before diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For dive destinations and dive op.s, I hit Scuba Board the most. I also use Undercurrent.org, which requires a subscription. Some online Googling may turn up some other reviews.

If it's a live-aboard I'm looking at, Liveaboard.com and other dive travel agency sites and the individual vendor pages give me info.; individual live-aboard vendors like Aggressor Fleet and Explorer Ventures often have FAQ pages that are quite useful in researching logistics getting there, what I'll need and what special requirements may be in play.

Wikipedia is a start for getting an overview of the region, such as a Caribbean island.

If I want to watch videos of the diving, dive op. or the topside scene, YouTube serves a lot up for free.

Google Earth or Google Maps (street view) can let me get a feel for distances between points of interest, and the street view may let me virtually 'look around' the neighborhood a bit, so on arrival some things look slightly familiar.

Once you've got it together, read a number of trip reports on Scuba Board discussing your destination and dive op., take notes, compile the useful points from all that into a 'report' format, and whatever questions you've got left, start a thread on Scuba Board asking specific questions to learn more, and confirm your understanding of some of what you've learned from other resources.

Start way in advance so you've got time to review your sources. Once you pick an op. and book, your contact person may have useful info. - like food delivery options.

I may note more popular dive sites, but unless it's a shore-diving site, I'm likely to be headed whether the boat captain decides to go that day, so while a wish list is fine, I try not to get too invested in it.

Usually I look at Tripadvisor. It gives a good sense on people satisfaction of services received.

Usually I look at Tripadvisor.

I forgot about them. Especially if I'm taking non-divers along and staying at a place that's not a 'dive resort,' Trip Advisor reviews are a big help in getting a feel for the grounds, pool, others' experience with level of service, food quality if an issue, and what's easy walking distance from where we plan to stay. The T.A.'s 'Things to Do' section lays out things that might entertain non-divers (and even me). But read a bunch of recent reviews - there's always that nagging chance someone is 'troll posting' on behalf of a competitor, unusually high maintenance or just had a really atypical stay. By the same token, don't just read the 5 star reviews; see what some of the 3 and 4 star folks said, since more critical reviews may offer issues.

... But read a bunch of recent reviews - there's always that nagging chance someone is 'troll posting' on behalf of a competitor, unusually high maintenance or just had a really atypical stay. By the same token, don't just read the 5 star reviews; see what some of the 3 and 4 star folks said, since more critical reviews may offer issues.

+1. I read recent reviews from the bottom (one star) up. You can usually tell if it's a bogus review or if it's a Karen & Ken, ultra high maintenance couple making the review. These reviews are so over the top, absolutely nothing was right, worst place ever - that they are easy to spot. Real reviews from real peopl are usually mixed - we really didn't like X, but Y & Z were fine/OK. I don't put much stock in 4 & 5 star reviews either. Starry eyed people that have never been anywhere else or experienced real awe inspiring places are likely to be overwhelmed by anything exotic.

I still believe that knowing exactly what you want and then asking very specific questions is key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom