Sunscreen and your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My face burns super easy. Today I was in the water doing a lot of training, we would drop to the platform work on skills for 10/20min, surface...talk for 10ish mins and then drop again, we were in doubles so lots of air. I didn’t even think about it but I spent almost an hour on the surface on a cloudless day with the sun reflecting right in my face. My face got completely sun burnt.

we plan on doing the same type of diving next week.

many suggestions for a sun screen that would last underwater but is also safe for a silicon skirt of the mask and Latex dry suit seals?

Not sure about the silicone or latex but it sounds like you need to use that surfer whiteout stuff. You'll look like a goth but at least you'll get to keep your nose in old age.

Ive been using Coppertone sport for over 10 years. No problems with burning or seals. Just dont get it in your eyes, it WILL sting.

Have you thought about using a buff? I have seen quite a few boat captains using them as well as fisherman that spend a lot of time on the water.

Diesel exhaust water and tattoo sunscreen will mix and burn your eyes enough to leave you diving blind been there done that.

I'd use a high zinc sunscreen. On those days I also carry a cloth hat that I put on when we surface. It doesn't help with the reflected UV off the water, but I'm pretty bald so it's essential for me. I also have a lycra hood and sharkskin hood, but the hat brim is essential if the surface interval is longer than a few minutes.

any suggestions for a sun screen that would last underwater but is also safe for a silicon skirt of the mask and Latex dry suit seals?

I've used a variety of sunscreens on my face - but not 100% zinc/titanium - through the years and assuredly had some build up of gunk on my mask skirt. Other than a rinse after diving (over 15 years, 8-22 dives a year) I didn't do anything special to clean it until just over a year ago - my mask dropped on the boat and a lense popped out - when I got home, I cleaned the whole thing and the skirt came out looking as clear as it did when I bought it. I would say don't worry about damaging your mask with sunscreen , but don't necessarily wait to clean it between dive trips.

Ive been using Coppertone sport for over 10 years. No problems with burning or seals. Just dont get it in your eyes, it WILL sting.
That has always been my problem. If you make some activity with your mask, just placing it on and then removing, some cream always finishes in your eyes. IT BURNS...
So in the end I decided that diving and solar cream are mutually incompatible.
Luckily enough, after 4-5 days at the sea, my skin becomes dark enough that I can survive without too much skin irritation. But the first three days it is terrible, to the point of not sleeping by night.
I try protecting my face with a large hat, always keeping a T-shirt with long sleeves, etc... You still get some sun, and so, slowly, the skin reaches the degree of toasting after which it does not burn so much anymore.
Using an hat in water looks ridiculous, but I never cared, and works.

I always carry a hat when diving in the tropics. Being on the surface for more than 5 minutes will start to burn my precious head - no hair. I’ve had a number of comments over the years, but not getting the top of my head burnt is more important. I use factor 50 during the first few day, by the end of 2 weeks I’m acclimatised.

Sunscreen and a mask are a horrible combination. Go for a hat for your surface time .. !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom