Long-hose in the time of COVID-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

too many "if" for me
There were only two ifs. Do you distrust that you have your wits around you, or that your buddy is reasonably competent?

There were only two ifs. Do you distrust that you have your wits around you, or that your buddy is reasonably competent?
The second (apart my wife, but, as said, this brings me in a completely different situation. My life is much less valuable than her one...).
But thinking better, also my wits could not be the same as 30 years ago.
Definitely I cannot be considered anymore a reliable, competent and fit buddy...

For my part, based on what I know about him from his posts, I would welcome the opportunity to dive with Angelo. I suspect we would have a thorough pre-dive discussion, we would both dive safely, and competently, and we would probably have some great discussions outside of the actual dive.

I would say the same for Storker, and for PfcAj, tbone1004, tursiops, and many others - people who are thinking about diving and whose commitment to enjoyable and SAFE diving is obvious from their posts. The specific gear configuration is of less importance than their mindset.

We can agree to disagree on certain issues, but the commonality of themes are more important.

The risk, for the donor, is that, for any reason, the backup fails. If the buddy is my wife, I happily accept that risk.
If the buddy is an unknown, then I will FIRST get the backup in my mouth, test it for 2-3 breaths, and having verified that it is in good shape and I am not at risk, then, and only then, I will cautiously offer my primary to the buddy OOA. If during this additional time he is drown, I still have done the proper safe procedure, it is not my fault.
It is donating FIRST and searching for backup LATER which is questionable, and entirely unacceptable in a firefighter perspective.

Do you think the OOA diver is going to patiently wait while you take the time to test out your backup regulator? I think it's more likely they will tear you apart (or at least try to) in order to get that next breath of air.

An out of air diver needs gas NOW not after you've had time to take 2-3 breaths from your backup. I can't believe others think this way. Scuba diving is not firefighting. In firefighting you don't "share air" in scuba it's a common & easy skill done from OW-Advanced training.

I regularly breathe off of both long and short hose regulators as I dive to make sure they are working.

I have very little concern about covid.

I still like the idea of making necklace primary and clipping off long hose with a breakaway connection like an octo.

The necklace and shorter hose make the reg more secure in the mouth.

Do you think the OOA diver is going to patiently wait while you take the time to test out your backup regulator? I think it's more likely they will tear you apart (or at least try to) in order to get that next breath of air.

An out of air diver needs gas NOW not after you've had time to take 2-3 breaths from your backup. I can't believe others think this way. Scuba diving is not firefighting. In firefighting you don't "share air" in scuba it's a common & easy skill done from OW-Advanced training.

You are missing his point. He was arguing in favour of donating his secondary/backup regulator.

That's the reason for which I offer my yellow secondary with long hose, without having anything to wait. The delay is only with the "primary donate" approach, which is not my first choice!
In fact, I really do not see the point to have to swap your regulator for donating. The secondary is the first choice, for me. And I keep my primary in my mouth, without any additional risk for me.
It already happened to me to donate the secondary, without any delay nor any problem. At least three times. It must be said that the recipient was not yet fully out of air, nor panicked.
The problem is when you get in contact with someone really panicking.
It never occurred to me underwater, but it occurred when on service as a firefighter. It is not a pleasant situation, people when panicking are entirely selfish (much more than me), they can try killing you if they perceive that this is the way of saving their own life...
It must also be said that the risk of burning triggers panic much more than the risk of drowning...

That's the reason for which I offer my yellow secondary with long hose, without having anything to wait. The delay is only with the "primary donate" approach, which is not my first choice!
In fact, I really do not see the point to have to swap your regulator for donating. The secondary is the first choice, for me. And I keep my primary in my mouth, without any additional risk for me.
It already happened to me to donate the secondary, without any delay nor any problem. At least three times. It must be said that the recipient was not yet fully out of air, nor panicked.
The problem is when you get in contact with someone really panicking.
It never occurred to me underwater, but it occurred when on service as a firefighter. It is not a pleasant situation, people when panicking are entirely selfish (much more than me), they can try killing you if they perceive that this is the way of saving their own life...
It must also be said that the risk of burning triggers panic much more than the risk of drowning...

Fair enough. I've always been taught primary donate. In OW I used an Air2 (not to get into that whole debate) and in tech I wear a backup on necklace on short hose. For recreational diving I think donating the octo should suffice. In tech I still lean to primary donate but most tech divers are setup with back already right under their chin. It also helps ensure a safe gas for the depth is provided to the OOA diver.

The delay is only with the "primary donate" approach,
Allow me to disagree. For me, it's quicker to grab my primary, duck my head and donate than to fumble for my octo (yes, I'm exaggerating a little bit, but I've been in that situation).

Everyone should be free to choose their preferred gear config as long as it isn't too far from the mainstream ones, but primary donate and the secondary on a necklace is what I prefer. I know exactly where the reg I'm going to donate is, I can donate it in a second or so, and my secondary is located just below my chin. If the necklace has broken and it isn't, the hose is so short that the reg isn't so far away that I can't locate it in less than a minute. Probably less than 30 seconds. And I've seen more than enough dangling octos in my life, thank you.

What I dislike with a Hogarthian config is that it isn't very compatible with a snorkel. Because it's easy to imagine more than one open water sticky situation where a snorkel could be really nice to have. I've solved that issue by always carrying a roll-up snorkel in one of my thigh pockets.

Also I’ve discovered that I need a 28” hose for my necklace regulator so I can turn my head to the left while breathing it without it pulling out of my mouth and I’m not THAT big of a guy.

Back
Top Bottom