• I have backup gear for my own personal use

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • I have backup gear primarily for visitors

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have lots of gear and regularly change things up

Votes: 52 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:
My "real estate" is nothing but a shed in the garden

But you are both right. It's better to wait a bit longer and to invest in 1 decent AI DC than having to buy another one in a near or distant future...
Now for the proper mindset, think of the computer you don’t buy, I suggest the more expensive of the two, as a discount on the Teric (I use two Teric computers, sold the perdix after a few dives with the Teric as I knew I would never use it.)

I have lots of gear. Very little of it was purchased as "backup" gear. Most was purchased as I moved along through diving and decided to upgrade something or change my configuration. I could probably put together 4 or 5 bcds. I have 4 working regulators, not counting the one on my pony that's a valvulator. I do have some gear that I bought especially for visitors. Blade fins, masks, snorkels.

Now for the proper mindset, think of the computer you don’t buy, I suggest the more expensive of the two, as a discount on the Teric (I use two Teric computers, sold the perdix after a few dives with the Teric as I knew I would never use it.)

That's a very wise statement.

Just discussed it and what's the best way to decide which DC suits best?
Exactly: dive with it.
I'll try out his 5 computers to make up my mind. (No, not all simultaneously. People might ask where those watches are going with that litlle woman)

Only have a backup reg (1st and 2nd) and a backup computer (does backup computer really count as a backup? :wink:). Well, I also have a set of backup fins that used to be my wife’s (hot pink looks great on me) in case people start making fun of my atomic splits...

Caveat: I said I don’t have much spare gear. We have local dive clubs here in Nordic countries. Dive clubs typically own compressors, a RIB, sometimes specialty items like fancy gas mixing eqip., a boat (even some big ones), but most importantly dive gear primarily for students but also to loan or rent. If I need a BCD, reg set, tank, (or even several full sets), I can get one from the clubhouse for free or almost nothing. If this were not the case I probably would own a lot more extras.

But...the budget...
I admit that I very, very, very much like the Teric. Especially the blue one which would pair up very nicely with the blue of my wing :)
But rats...that budget...
Not for now.

Edit... on the other hand: I could wait a few months longer and...
I love my blue Teric.
My son has been saving for a Teric for 6 months now and that is how my wife found out how much it was... :eek:

I have a backup BCD (The one I started with) that is a jacket style. I moved to BP/W with the help of many folks around here who helped answer 1001 questions I had. I thought I would keep it mainly to teach in thinking that students would benefit from seeing something that was pretty identical to what they were learning in but changed that thought pretty early on. BP/W have all the same functions as a jacket style BCD and I think aids students in seeing that although it looks different, basic functions are the same and there is no reason to be intimidated by it.

I chose "I have only one set of gear", but I do have several exposure suits (including a drysuit with dead latex seals), more fins than I can keep track of, 2 computers, a few spare second stages...

I love my blue Teric.
My son has been saving for a Teric for 6 months now and that is how my wife found out how much it was... :eek:

Auch...
But you're still alive :)
And better spending once a bit more money than several times less...

I realize now how lucky I am not having to deal with a life partner who doesn't understand that kind of spendings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom