Sea Frogs Salted Line A6XXX - Zoom Gears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadoo_

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever made their own zoom gear?

Trying to DIY it. I have a metabones adapter with my Tokina fisheye lens. Was able to make a cylinder with a little "window" to make room for the metabones switch that gets in the way.

Issue is I can't find a solution to make the zoom gear (that's on the lens) bite the gear that connects on the knob (the one that's connected to the housing.)

Besides this, planning to buy some other lenses and dont want to spend an additional $50 every time I do so. Plus DIY is fun and frustrating.

I've at least gone down the steps of working out how I would make my own zoom gear for mine. Haven't had to do it yet as I'm only using primes currently, but wanted to make sure I had the option moving forward.

What I worked out was to cad model the existing zoom gear, modify the inner diameter to accommodate the new lens, 3d print a rigid replica of the new gear, pull a silicone mold, and finally cast the actual gear in a high durometer rubber. That'd give something that behaved just like the factory gears. Of course, it requires you to have a 3d printer and such.

I've designed and printed several components for my seafrogs a7riii housing but not attempted focus rings due to having limited lenses. Maybe if you post your cad model on grabcad/thinigverse you might get traction with the userbase. @saxman242 would love to see the model (solidworks or nx perhaps?)

would love to see the model (solidworks or nx perhaps?)
I haven't gotten as far as actually modeling them up yet, because I haven't had the need. Just worked through the process. If/when I do, I'd be happy to post up some step files.

I've modeled the gear based off measurements I took with a caliper and 3d printed it today. I'll compare it to the actual 10-18 gear tomorrow.

If it looks good, I can post the file and then someone can model the rest of the zoom gear for any lens. J

FYI, here is the zoom gear I printed. Looks really good and meshes with the salted line gear perfectly. Now I just need to model the rest of it to clamp onto my tokina 10-17.

Imgur

Here is an update on the zoom gear for the tokina 10-17 on a sigma MC-11. I am now on rev 3 of this zoom gear. Need to make some small updates to the gear profile and some spacing changes.

Right now it's a friction fit on the zoom ring. If needed there are holes for set screws as well. I will be making a new gear for the 16-50 as well once I finalize this one. The stock rubber gear binds with the short flat macro port installed.

I am planning on selling these once I am finished and happy with the design.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 191
Wow! I'd definitely be up for one of those if you do see the project through. Either way, really impressive effort dude!
Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom