Feature request - 15 feet last stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I missed it too. Last deco stop settings are 10' or 20'. Anywhere between is good as far as the safety stop timer is concerned. For decompression purposes shallower stops are more efficient, other things being equal.

I missed it too. For decompression purposes shallower stops are more efficient, other things being equal.
Surface stop is even more efficient :eek:

My concern with 10 feet is that a passing boat may still hit. I feel safer at 15ft. Strangely the choices are too coarse.

Then set the last stop for 10 feet but do it anywhere between 10-20ft. You're not talking a major deco dive so it really doesn't matter (and it really doesn't matter on a deco dive either). This is not a relaistic feature that shearwater should waste their effort on

Then set the last stop for 10 feet but do it anywhere between 10-20ft. You're not talking a major deco dive so it really doesn't matter (and it really doesn't matter on a deco dive either). This is not a relaistic feature that shearwater should waste their effort on

>> you're not talking a major deco dive

What is major? What made you think that.

>> and it really doesn't matter on a deco dive either

Need proof that there is no difference as it "does not matter". Does it matter for me?

>> This is not a relaistic feature that shearwater should waste their effort on

Need proof how this feature is not realistic

Also need for you to explain how shearwater chooses what it should waste time on and what not, and how do you exactly know their internal procedures at picking projects. Maybe shearwater wants to know too how you came to know this.

---------------------------------

You have made many assersions but gave zero proof.

In deco diving, I regularly set my last stop at 10 feet but do it at about 15.

I do that stop on oxygen, and that means there is no benefit, other than saving gas volume, to going all the way to 10 feet. The gradient between tissue N2 pressure and oxygen is identical at any depth. You can do the stop at any depth you want. The benefit to doing it a few feet shallower is that you don't have to be precise with stop depth. This is valuable if you are like me and believe moderate exercise during that stop is valuable for its effect on perfusion.

So what about doing the stop on a gas that still has a little N2, say EANx 80? Sure, it will be faster at 10 feet than at 15, but not all that much. The same is true on all your deco stops. A stop at 30 feet is better than 32, but not by much, and you won't have your computer barking at you if you go up a couple of inches.

Need proof of what I am talking about that does not constitute a noticeable change.
What I do not understand is how changing that setting makes a difference. You will off-gas at 15 feet at the rate you of-gas at 15 feet, whatever you are breathing. How do you benefit from having the setting at 15 feet rather than at 10 feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom