MAKO: Dive Parka and Dive/Surf Poncho

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for the inquiry. Please call the shop if you have questions on sizing, but we will get a size chart posted soon.

The parka is quick drying.

As for the scubaboard pricing...We will do a 10% discount for the first few scubaboard members who place an order and promise to provide an honest product review after they've used either of the products.

Members will have to place the order over the phone and reference this message in order to claim the 10% discount.

Thanks!
dano

Thanks for the question about sizing. The website will be updated with the following size guide:

S-5'2-5'5
M-5'6-5'9
L-5'10-6'1
XL-6'2 and up

Both garments are cut very generously, so there is no need to try to specify a weight range.

Is is possible to get the lengths of the Small and Medium? Thanks!

The Poncho will fall to about your knees (when you select the recommended size) and the Parka (which is designed to provide significant warmth) will fall to about the middle of your shins... if that helps?

@MAKO Spearguns thanks for the comparison info. I love a lot of the features you have.

One of things that Surfur mentions is that with no vinyl shell their fabric is breathable, and therefore something that isn't suffocating if you take it to moderate or warmer temperatures.

@tbone1004, feel free to chime in here as well with any experience you have as I am looking for something that is warm when beach diving in CA in the winter but also protective for when you come back on small carribbean boats in a storm that sting with the rain.

Thanks!

@Larryjd1 I have not bought one of the @MAKO Spearguns coats, so I can't comment on that specifically. I'm half tempted to order one, but the embroidery is keeping me from doing it as our coats are custom embroidered for the dive team that I'm on and the logos are where our names and team logo would go.

The boat coats are going to be warm on the caribbean boats since they're black fleece. Boat coats are designed to limit wind to prevent evaporative cooling from the wetsuits. Some of the older ones used to be like wind breakers and they'd get stuffy and wet inside since they couldn't breathe. That was distinctly unpleasant, so the new ones changed fabric types. The advantage of the old style fabric was they were much more "waterproof" to things like rain and boat spray. The boat coats are going to keep you mostly dry from pelting rain, but they're going to get wet on the outer layer and get heavy. Surf Fur's are at least made of pretty dense fleece and I assume the Mako's are as well so they'll take quite a bit to dry out. The inner membranes are similar to goretex and do not like going through washing machines and especially not dryers so you have to let them air dry which is a pain.
For caribbean rain, I tend to just leave my wetsuit up since it's warm rain, short boat rides, and get hot quite easily...

Hey Larryjd1,

Thanks for your continued interest in our products. Very good points raised...

I think the outer shell keeps you warmer because it is so effective at stopping the wind (and rain). If it warms up a bit, you could always unzip it and the velcro wrist straps would allow you to push the sleeves up. Because it is more roomy than any other dive parka, I doubt it would ever be considered suffocating.

If you are going to a warmer climate, perhaps you could bring one of our ponchos. They are fine for breezy/chilly conditions. But, when it is cold. I definitely recommend the Parka.

Thanks again for your post. I greatly appreciate your interest.

dive safe,
dano

I really like the design of your parka. Would love to see the same design made with the material of the poncho.

Driving our dive boats I see our instructors loving the Scubapro Crew Jacket, but the outer shell is consistently shredded after about a year.

That said I still have you on my list for when I need something warmer than a towel :)

@tbone1004 Thanks for your (as always) thoughtful insight. Sorry that I didn't make it clearer, but I knew from earlier posts that you had a SurfFur so I was curious to know your experience.

@MAKO Spearguns Thanks for coming out with innovative products and being so active here on SB. I'll consider your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom