remote exhaust, or a plain elbow ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just wondering what the consensus is on BC's/wings that offer the option of a plain elbow, or a ("pull-to-dump") remote exhaust ? Love 'em ? Hate 'em? Unnecessary junk? Potential weak link?
My interest is primarily in a wing system, and for tech/cave applications. (And to head-off the most obvious response, yes, I'm aware that with the pull/dump system there's a risk of pulling something apart by overzealous yanking of the inflator, but let's assume we're talking about people that know how to dive :D.)
Thanks.....

I don't have your experience level (by a long shot), but I've been making and diving my own wings... I haven't found a situation where a pull-dump elbow would have been any easier. If I'm in a position where getting the power inflator above the bubble in the wing is any difficulty, I'm level or head down enough that the kidney dump is super easy. I don't think they are a major failure point, but even the low risk isn't worth the even lower reward to me.
Respectfully,
James

When I was diving a regular stab jacket, I used the shoulder/pull dumps regulary. There was almost no way to completly and smoothly dump the air using the inflator. I always had touble with that.

When getting my BPW I went with the pull dump on the hose just in case I find my shoulder dump missing. Never missed it at all, and never used it.

So either way it's not unwanted but it's unneeded on my current wing.

It helps if you always used one one a b/c but overall, for me, I find them to much of a weak link and will remove them when possible (pull dumps) but I never used one like some do as I always felt odd pulling on the hose without thinking about something breaking.

Most wings have the kidney valve facing towards the backplate / body. In normal trim it can sometimes be difficult to get the last bubble out on ascent to safety stop.

The shoulder dump is both on the diagonally opposite corner, and the opposite ( "upper") side in trim position. I just have to drop my right shoulder a little to vent the last bubble through the shoulder dump.

The failure point discussions get tiresome. But I find that the heavier metal K-inflators can sometimes stretch the hose enough to cause a leak.

I'm a big fan of the pull dump. It came standard on my diverite wing, and I've learned to love it. Doubly so since I added an air2 as the pull dump solves the problem of being able to easily dump gas while breathing on the air2.

I've never had any kind of problem with it. I did replace the rubber gasket in all my pull dumps last year. Also, I disassemble all the BC dumps when I clean my gear now. It's super easy and keeps their insides nice and pristine.

I would never buy a wing that has a pull dump and I think it's one of the stupider ideas the dive gear industry has come up with. (And think of all the stupid ideas that have existed in dive gear!) Why on earth anyone thinks it's a good idea to yank on a relatively delicate rubber hose that seals air in a flotation device is beyond me. Yes, it's protected by a cheap cable attached to a flimsy cross bar, but I have personally seen someone just pull the damn hose right off, only to see all the air in the BC bubble out, and keep in mind this was a typical vertically oriented, overweighted novice diver. Not a great situation.

I've only ever used it to drain water out of the bcd. Mostly just to make sure the valve was clean which is stupid cause if it wasn't there I wouldn't need to flush it.

It ain't broke, though...

Back
Top Bottom