Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Cressi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1947 is also claimed to be the year when a prototype of Cressi's iconic Rondine fins first saw the light of day:
upload_2020-5-27_10-18-45.jpeg

I remember reading somewhere that this prototype had to be created from salvaged tyre rubber because raw materials were in such short supply within Europe in the aftermath of World War II. Note the absence of the swallow outline omnipresent on the foot pockets and blades of later commercial versions, e.g.
upload_2020-5-27_10-29-47.jpeg

I have been informed that the swallow (Italian: rondine) is actually a "barn swallow" (Hirundo rustica), chosen by Cressi "because they are considered graceful and fast in the town in Italy where Cressi was started." That town was presumably Genoa. I do hope the good citizens of Genoa just admired the bird's flying skills. Here in the UK, we hear stories about Italian hunters shooting small migrating songbirds for the table, which might explain the popular perception in the British Isles that there are fewer songbirds than there used to be decades ago.

The designer of the Cressi Rondine fin was Luigi Ferraro, who has already been credited in this thread with the invention of the Cressi Pinocchio mask:
1luigiferraro_0-preview-jpg.532384.jpg

This post is just a preview of what will be examined at greater length in later posts, as the Cressi Rondine fin has made such an impact on swim fin evolution from the 1950s to the present day. The design has established the benchmark by which all closed-heel fins will inevitably be judged, combining as it does the art of fin-making (e.g. full foot coverage for comfort and maximum endurance) with the science of fin-making (e.g. correct degree of blade inclination for maximum return on effort).

More anon some time during the weekend. As always, keep safe.

Thanks to all my readers!

We're talking about one of the world's most iconic fins, the Cressi Rondine. Here is the design in 1953:
upload_2020-5-31_9-22-53.jpeg

My very rough translation (Italian isn't one of the languages I have studied!):
"The endeavour was difficult because Italian-brand fins are among the best and in order to make better ones, great passion, commitment, perseverance and a long series of expensive experiences were required. However, it is with a satisfaction matching the difficulties overcome that we present our latest improved type of “RONDINE” fins (fig. 46). The complete shoe they come with gently covers the whole foot, without points of particular friction and represents a very welcome protection for the sole of the foot against various external factors (rocks, sea urchins, heat, etc.). When wearing these fins you will get an immediate, very new feeling of well-being, above all anyone remembering with discomfort the straps of previous models that pinched the toes and heel and created chafing and friction with inevitable, tiresome and often serious bruises. A pleasant fit, freedom of movement, less muscle effort, excellent performance are the qualities noticed by everyone. They are real qualities, moreover, not subjective impressions, as they constitute a goal long pursued and conquered after years of constant work and continuous experiment. The great innovation - leaving the toes free – provided the wherewithal for the shoe to connect the fin to the foot in a secure and well-distributed manner, resulting in the following advantages: eliminate the unbearable squeeze, considerably reducing while finning the forced extension of the toe and particularly of the big toe, with great well-being for the ankle joint and leg muscles (cramp elimination). The ingenuity of foot and blade “overlap” instead of “continuity” and therefore the possibility of appropriately increasing the inclination of the blade, serve the following purposes: to eliminate the passive zone found in other fins in one of the swimming phases; increase the kicking area while containing the total dimensions of the fin; decrease the weight and, of utmost importance, shorten the lever arm with respect to the ankle fulcrum with great improvement in the effort-performance ratio. These are the main technical characteristics of the brand new “RONDINE” fins as well as the theoretical explanation of the admiration and amazement that they provoke in those who test them. In these fins, the passive frictions have reduced so much that, at the first use, in comparison with other previous types, one has the sensation of not feeling them on the feet. Their superiority is in this brief comparison!"

I like the sense of excitement generated by the catalogue writers as they compose their copy to launch a brand-new product that was about to conquer the swimming and diving world. These fins were designed to fulfil a dual mission: making cramping, pinching and bruising a thing of the past for finned divers and swimmers while making kicking more efficient in the effort versus performance stakes.

And here's the Cressi Rondine in the 1955 catalogue:
upload_2020-5-31_11-0-44.png

upload_2020-5-31_11-1-42.png

with my very rough translation:
Premise.

Given the importance of the equipment, we have spent a long time overcoming the existing types with a new creation. The endeavour was arduous and great passion, commitment, perseverance and long experimentation were required to achieve the desired result. But the great difficulties were rewarded by the rapid and universal success achieved by our “RONDINE” model which, like many of our other creations, in addition to its success, represented a new approach in design, soon followed and imitated in Italy and abroad.
Technical characteristics of the “Rondine”
The great innovation - leaving the toes free – provided the wherewithal for the shoe to connect the fin to the foot in a secure and well-distributed manner, resulting in the following advantages: eliminate the unbearable squeeze, considerably reducing while finning the forced extension of the toe and particularly of the big toe, with great well-being for the ankle joint and leg muscles (cramp elimination). The ingenuity of foot and blade “overlap” instead of “continuity” and therefore the possibility of appropriately increasing the inclination of the blade, serve the following purposes: to eliminate the passive zone found in the other fins; increase the kicking area while containing the total dimensions of the fin; decrease the weight and, of utmost importance, shorten the lever arm with respect to the ankle fulcrum with great improvement in the effort-performance ratio.
Positive results of the special characteristics
When wearing these fins you will get an immediate, very new feeling of well-being, above all anyone remembering with discomfort the straps of previous models that pinched the toes and heel and created chafing and friction with inevitable, tiresome and often serious bruises. A pleasant fit, freedom of movement, less muscle effort, excellent performance are the qualities noticed by everyone. They are real qualities, moreover, not subjective impressions, as they constitute a goal long pursued and conquered after years of constant work. These are the main technical characteristics of the brand new “RONDINE” fins as well as the theoretical explanation of the admiration and amazement that they provoke in those who test them. In these fins the passive frictions have been so reduced that at the first use, in comparison to other types, one has the sensation of not feeling them on the feet, despite having identical or greater performance. It is in this feeling that the meaning of their great superiority lies!

Quite a detailed account and deservedly so for such a radically different contribution to fin development. I am going to leave matters there for today, planning next time to illustrate some of the impact of the Cressi Rondine on the 1950s underwater swimming scene.

View attachment 584589
Montego bay, Jamaica
October 1958: Maggie in snorkelling gear. Part of an archival project, featuring the photographs of Nick Dewolf
I find it interesting that with "full face" masks being promoted on YouTube as a new thing, and the controversy about whether they are dangerous, that they seem to have been so normal at this period.

I doubt I could wear one without panicking, but that's me...

I find it interesting that with "full face" masks being promoted on YouTube as a new thing, and the controversy about whether they are dangerous, that they seem to have been so normal at this period. I doubt I could wear one without panicking, but that's me...

I agree. When old ideas are resurrected, the Henry Ford philosophy of history ("History is bunk") accompanies the resurrection. Few people seem prepared to learn the lessons of history or even to do the most basic historical research related to their line of business, which means that the mistakes of the past are inevitably repeated, sometimes with fatal consequences.

Having studied the early development of mid-twentieth century snorkel-masks and having several in my diving equipment collection, I can see why they were developed to serve the needs of underwater hunters whose lips and mouths were rubbed raw by rough snorkel mouthpieces as they spent hours on the surface stalking their prey with occasional duck dives during which they didn't want their masks flooded. The risk management at the time meant that the advantages outweighed the perils. The pioneering spearfishermen had no precedents to follow either, something that isn't true today.

I have a "modern" full-face snorkel-mask, which I may try at some stage, but like you I'm not convinced about their efficacy or safety, even when they are used exclusively on the surface. I have a soft spot for half-face snorkel-masks, though, which cover the eyes and nose only and enable nose breathing. These masks often have removable snorkels, so they can be converted to conventional masks by replacing the snorkel with a stopper in the snorkel socket. I don't think that is always possible with modern versions.

Thanks, guys!

Last time I promised to to illustrate how the Cressi Rondine impacted the 1950s underwater swimming scene. We'll start with my own country, the UK, and with a cultural phenomenon of 1950s England, the "holiday camp". This was popular with people who wanted value for money (a week's residence costing no more than a week's wages), a programme of family entertainment and a range of recreational facilities to suit all ages and interests. The most famous holiday camp company was probably Butlin's, where one of the sights in the mid-fifties was a scuba diver cleaning the windows of the swimming pool so that the people sitting in the café below could see the swimmers.
upload_2020-6-3_9-1-52.jpeg

upload_2020-6-3_9-2-39.jpeg

upload_2020-6-3_9-3-36.jpeg

upload_2020-6-3_9-4-37.jpeg

upload_2020-6-3_9-5-4.jpeg

This series of photographs was captioned: "Spring Cleaning at Butlins Cliftonville; A member of the Butlins staff keep campers amused as she cleans the windows of the Indor pool.; Circa 1955".

I believe Butlins at Filey in Yorkshire was the place I first saw a scuba diver "in the flesh" so to speak. And the diver in the images above is wearing full-foot Cressi Rondine fins, which were considered superior in comfort to the open-heel variety at time with a price to match.

The Cressi company itself was quick to raise the public profile of their new fin design. This from 1954:
upload_2020-6-3_9-31-18.jpeg

The "Fantasy Nymph" team of aquatic performers posing with their newly acquired Cressi Rondines. In 1955, Cressi Rondine users were national and international underwater fishing competition winners:
upload_2020-6-3_9-37-17.jpeg

And the fins looked good when worn in the feet of a model on the front cover of an Italian spearfishing magazine in 1957:
upload_2020-6-3_9-40-35.jpeg

Cressi Rondines were the fins of choice for the rich and famous too. Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy:
JBK-Collection006.jpg

Caption: "Bathing Suit with Flippers". Nantucket Bay, Hyannis Port. August 1960. The days between the end of the Democratic convention and the beginning of the general election campaign on Labor Day, were probably the most carefree the future President and his wife would have for the rest of their lives. Here Jackie, in old fashioned swim suit, a rubber bathing cap and carrying flippers, returns from an afternoon spent swimming and boating in Nantucket Bay near the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port.

From my own country, Quintin Hogg, Lord Hailsham:
Lord_Hailsham-2320.jpg

Caption:
Quintin Hogg, or Lord Hailsham, wearing flippers. Photograph: Denis Healey.
Interesting because both the subject of the photograph and the person who took the photograph, Denis Healey, were leading British politicians of their age who served in rival parties.

Italian actress Bianca Maria Fusari:
upload_2020-6-3_9-53-15.jpeg

And who could resist this miniaturised version of the Cressi Rondine:
upload_2020-6-3_9-56-1.jpeg

Enough for today. Back at the weekend with the development of Cressi Rondine fins from the late 1950s. Stay tuned and stay safe in the meantime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom