Ultrasonic cleaning for dummies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For years I have been using a combo of 80% water and 20% CLR in my ultrasonic cleaner. Most reg parts clean up great in about 3 minutes. Never had a problem with the chrome, but I always remove the parts and wash in fresh water after the ultrasonic bath. My 2psi.

View attachment 589711

In the UK, that CLR stuff is sold under the brand ZEP. I get it from Screwfix. It's amazing at removing limescale from bathroom fixtures !

When I was first tasked with cleaning fiddly regulator bits, we used this rank proprietary mix, called Hempocid. It was basically 15% hydrochloric acid and whatever other nauseating additives they could find on a chemist's shelf.

Years later, I have also moved on to CLR; Simple Green; dilute hand dishwashing soap; and, also or alternatively, to varying concentrations of powdered ascorbic acid (vitamin C) -- dependent upon the level of corrosion -- which is readily found in the canning aisle (as a color enhancer and food preservative) of any supermarket. Since I have a pH meter for lab use, I generally aim at a pH of 4-4.25; but a flat teaspoon or two should do the trick in a full tank, depending upon its volume.

I generally give metal components a good, hot water soak, for fifteen to twenty minutes (as needed), at about 40-50˚C, in the ultrasonic cleaner, handling and repositioning the bits with metal chopsticks, followed by tap water rinses, and even the occasional RO or distilled water use, since the TDS of our local district's well water, runs at about 380 ppm. A spent toothbrush also comes in handy, for those nuisance pieces; and even the cheapest of the ultrasonic cleaners can be amazingly effective at removing deposits; and I was always pleasantly surprised at the amount of residue, left after cleaning . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom