Will there be diving in the Philippines this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I monitor the Philippine government sites daily looking for updates. I also check all the expat forums on FB for information. I know there is going to be a webinar on 06/04/2020 4pm Manila time with the department of Tourism and what the plans are....supposedly...but that changes by the minute.

If I see any information of value I'll be sure to post it here.

But currently yes, the Quarantine is still in effect but only spouse of Filipina or Filipino is allowed entry with proof of marriage and they must be accompanied by the spouse. ( The government recently made that change)

A big problem here is finding out exactly what the rules are. This predates the current situation.

They will sometimes post on Facebook but not their official sites, they will post on their official sites but not on Facebook, they may not post at all but just make a news announcement that may or may not actually make it to the news sites.

(They use Facebook a lot here because it is generally free data to connect.)

They will leave up old posts and since they often do not take them, you can be looking at the rules from last March thinking that they are current.

They post what they are hopeful the rules will be, you could go to Cebu Pacific or PAL or Air Asia sites and book flights, on the full schedule, for 2 weeks in advance because the airlines were HOPING that they could fly then.

Different agencies, different government levels and different individuals within one agency will often give out different rules. One information channel will say one thing and another will contradict it.

Then at the interaction between the public and the people enforcing the rules you get people with totally different understandings of the rules trying to determine what the rules are.

Then the rules will change tomorrow, often with immediate effect.

Bottom line is if you are thinking recreational travel here, I would advise that you wait until the situation stabilizes or be prepared to get stuck in a quarantine somewhere along the way and /or to end up paying a lot more for a return flight home ( sweeper flights Manila to Vancouver were going for about twice a round trip ticket previously cost, three times if you wanted to go to Toronto.) I have not heard what a quarantine hotel costs, but I doubt if it is less than it was pre-quarantine days.

I would not get on a dive boat if the same risks and uncertainty applied to the excursion as apply to trying to travel internationally just about anywhere right now.

I need to find a wealthy family with a huge ocean bound yacht with a dive deck. A family looking for another family to hang out on their cruise around the world's best dive spots.

Just in case, we can cook and we are pretty funny. Lots of drama and noise, though.

Very good sign!

Stay healthy, Philippines.

FB_IMG_1592325260503.jpg

@Blueringocto_73 Yup..... The Pres done extended our "GCQ" until the end of the month.... We were supposed to move to "MGCQ" (Modified version, slightly less restrictive; for those not following)...... But no, he announced at almost midnight last night that MGCQ would NOT be taking effect as of 6/16, as scheduled...... I have a lot of words, but none are appropriate for public.:rant::rant:

Back
Top Bottom