Is there a place where I can find dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moby Dickins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there any website or local area to post my info so that I can get someone to dive with? Lots of good shore dives in the area, it would be nice to get around dive shop trips.

Try local Facebook diving groups

would imagine there is probably a facebook group...most dive shops I have seen also usually have dive clubs of some kind...a good place to meet like minded diving individuals to ask to dive...

Its a shame, I got rid of facebook months ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll try the dive club route.

Try divebuddy.com. Once you set up your account and put your location in, you can set a range that will show you all members within that area. I've found and dived with several divers thru that site.

Its a shame, I got rid of facebook months ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll try the dive club route.
I feel you...I got rid of all social media probably 10 years ago....more often than not...i'm glad it's gone...but every now and then, for things like that...I wish I hadn't...but then I remember all the good that comes from NOT being part of all of that...

I would try divebuddy.com and avoid the Facebook groups like the plague. (or the corona)

Pacific Wilderness typically organizes 2-3 group dives per week: a Wednesday night dive and a weekend morning dive at Veterans' Park in Redondo, and a more advanced dive at Old Marineland or somewhere nearby. They were on hiatus for a while but have announced they're starting up again. You will unfortunately have to consult the wicked Book of Faces for updates. But I've met great buddies that way. I've also met great buddies through South Coast Divers, which met every Saturday morning in Laguna but is on hiatus also. But you can sign up for their email list to find out when they resume and never touch social media. There's also a list of dive clubs organized by city in the back pages of California Diving News; I'm sure there's at least one club that meets monthly at a restaurant in Torrance (er...used to meet) and plans organized and fairly disorganized group dives at those meetings.

I found it difficult as a new diver to find other people who wanted to dive with me, sight unseen. But by showing up to organized dive events, I was able to demonstrate that I didn't completely suck, and all of a sudden I found myself having to make a spreadsheet to keep track of my new friends and what kinds of dives they were up for. The pandemic has really made that difficult, but things are starting to open up again.

PM me if you're interested in doing a beach dive in LA/OC with me and my peeps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom