Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you wear warm/thick socks under the neoprene socks of the drysuit, or just lycra/nothing?

I wear a thin, ankle high wool sock and a Seaskin 150grm sock over that. Or, sometimes, instead of the Seaskin sock, I wear an expedition weight Merino wool sock (i.e. a ski sock).

Thanks Stuart. I'll try a ski sock next time instead of the thick SmartWool hiking socks I wore last weekend. My feet were plenty warm, could probably afford to be just a little chillier, and anyway wouldn't mind having a little less room for air bubbles, wrt trim.

I switch between an Artic and a Halo, summer/ winter. They warn against this with the Extra allowance option and the suit becoming a bag with the Artic. I see some say they have trouble reaching the valve wearing a 250. Any experiences with the Extra allowance and an artic?

They warn against this with the Extra allowance option and the suit becoming a bag with the Artic. I see some say they have trouble reaching the valve wearing a 250. Any experiences with the Extra allowance and an artic?

The effect of extra allowance seems to differ between people. For tall and larger men the regular cut is quite snug and extra allowance probably would be ok even with the Artic. Most complaints of baggy extra-allowance Seaskins seem to be short/medium persons. AFAIK. Mine is definitely quite snug without the extra-allowance and a bz400.

From my experience, it is better to have a baggy suit than one that restricts your movements. Is it more work to manage bubble, yes it is. But other than having two suits, one for each situation, baggy is better.

After going through this thread and before the Brexit transitory period ends, I am now preparing to order my first drysuit (Seaskin). So far I have set on the following extras:

- Main Body Dry Zip Cover
- Move Dump (DIR)
- Fully Telescopic Torso
- Increase Braces width to 40mm
- NO Logos on Suit
- NO Reflective Tape on Arms
- PU Crutch Reinforcement
- Kevlar Knee Pads
- PU Shoulder Reinforcement
- Compressed Neoprene Socks
- No pee-valve as I am just diving recreationally and do not see myself going down the tech road (if it happens and this suit is still alive, I would just send it back to install one)

On another hand, I am in doubt regarding the following:
1) Plastic or brass zip (I am leaning towards plastic - what do the other brands use these days?)
2) 2x Pockets large bellows or expedition (I usually carry extra mask and wetnotes on one, smb + spool + mirror + divealert + folded snorkel on the other - could eventually add a nautilus lifeline)
3) Neck seal quick or orust (I am leaning towards the former)
4) Warm neck standard or simple (I am leaning towards the former)
5) Wrist seals oval or slaggo (I doubt that I will ever dive with dry gloves again - Silfra is done - my gloves have zero thermal protection to maximize dexterity - water temperature in Winter does not go below 12C here. Nevertheless, I am leaning towards the former as they seem more robust)
6) Apeks valve (new or old) or sitech

What do you think?

I haven’t found a need for the reinforcements and wouldn’t pay extra for no logo etc. I would go for a pee valve but they are easy to install and invaluable.
On to the questions,
1, plastic
2, one pocket, I have a suit with two and never use the left one, bellows and zippered.
3. I am greatly tempted by the orust and I would make that choice if I were buying a new suit but the old style is pretty good.
4, I like the warm neck feature, the type doesn’t matter.
5, oval.
6. Si Tech

one pocket, I have a suit with two and never use the left one, bellows and zippered.

I am set on two pockets (I would not like to have everything I mentioned on a single pocket). If expedition are too large, I would rather take a smaller size than reduce the number of pockets. My question is are expedition too large for these contents?

Thanks for your inputs.

On another hand, I am in doubt regarding the following:
1) Plastic or brass zip (I am leaning towards plastic - what do the other brands use these days?)
2) 2x Pockets large bellows or expedition (I usually carry extra mask and wetnotes on one, smb + spool + mirror + divealert + folded snorkel on the other - could eventually add a nautilus lifeline)
3) Neck seal quick or orust (I am leaning towards the former)
4) Warm neck standard or simple (I am leaning towards the former)
5) Wrist seals oval or slaggo (I doubt that I will ever dive with dry gloves again - Silfra is done - my gloves have zero thermal protection to maximize dexterity - water temperature in Winter does not go below 12C here. Nevertheless, I am leaning towards the former as they seem more robust)
6) Apeks valve (new or old) or sitech

What do you think?

1) Plastic
2) no opinion. I prefer zippered pockets and have them on both my Seaskin suits
3) Quick neck. I decided I would not want little parts I could drop or lose - especially if I'm trying to change a seal while out on a boat.
4) Simple
5) no opinion. I have Kubi and love them. But, I almost always wear dry gloves if I'm diving in that suit.
6) Si Tech, definitely. The Apeks Low Profile dump valve is known to be problematic. And who would want the high profile one.

Back
Top Bottom