How long have you gone without servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long enough that when I serviced them some of the O-rings came out in pieces! It does take several years to degrade and it would also depend on the service. O2 is hard on things. I certainly wouldn't worry about a couple years. (Obviously I didn't) Constant use is better than non-use I suspect. Also how you treat them post dive can effect how often they need service. I just finished servicing all 20 of my regs. It had to have been at least 8 years on some of them.

Umuntu "I also serviced my La Pavoni coffee machine a couple of weeks ago, and I found that was more complicated compared to servicing a Scuba regulator."

I agree. I have done mine a couple times over the years and have the parts to do it now.

U...

Most importantly...was the coffee any better...or was it more like that poorly serviced/high cost reg set...and like the reg set...the coffee maker...will never be as good as it was when it was new...whether you ''service it''...or send it out to your LCMRS...that's ''local coffee maker repair shop...two doors down from the LDS...

You could always replace your reg set and your coffee maker at the same time...

W...

A noticeable improvement ! It pours much better espresso shots now. I also upgraded the "shower screen" with an IMS competition screen. No more drips and leaks. I was amazed at how much the old o-rings and seals had compressed/flattened and become brittle.

I had only sent my beloved La Pavoni away to be serviced once before. Like regulators they are mostly chrome plated brass and a few plastic parts. There were a number of spots where I noticed the clumsy technician had scratched and damaged the machine through using hard tools on soft parts. And a couple of the seals were so brittle I suspect they weren't replaced last time. Another reason to DIY service. I'm never sending that Pavoni baby away to be serviced again.

Never mind diving with you guys-I want to meet up for coffee. The best coffee I've had was in Calle Figurea, Mallorca, Spain. I was waiting for the dive shop to open so I sat down for a cup. The cafe I was in had a wall length coffee machine. When I told the barista that was the best coffee I ever had, she just shook her head knowingly. Next best was in Costa Rica.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Never mind diving with you guys-I want to meet up for coffee. The best coffee I've had was in Calle Figurea, Mallorca, Spain. I was waiting for the dive shop to open so I sat down for a cup. The cafe I was in had a wall length coffee machine. When I told the barista that was the best coffee I ever had, she just shook her head knowingly. Next best was in Costa Rica.

For me, it was a small place in Orvieto, Italy, just a short distance from the Duomo (San Brizio) -- also a wall-length espresso machine. First an enormous espresso; then two caffè corretto (with grappa), an almond cornetto, and a missed train to Rome.

Back to poorly-maintained dive gear; and those who love them . . .

Couv...

Coffee in Spain is the bomb as is their hot chocolate...thick as tar......especially when served with those extruded/deep fried...thingamajigs...takes me back to diving off Gibraltar...a non Covid-19 dream...2014...the good old days...

W...

My best ever was in Asakusa, Tokyo. Just a random coffee shop, I wasn’t expecting anything and I was floored. It was French Press coffee and therefore most likely cleaned and serviced after every use.

Since we are talking coffee I'll add my two cents to the mix. While living in Europe I found the coffee at least to be drinkable with Italy and Spain being the best and the UK not much better than the US. (Of course many would argue that the British aren't really European and that is a subject for debate all on its own). I never had a bad cup in Europe. Now in the US, I can't ever remember having a good cup. I realise that taste is subjective but..... From time to time I see forum coffee discussions on some of the cruising forums and they can be as lively as a political discussion.

If we want to talk coffee let's start a coffee thread.:coffee: :) :wink::yeahbaby:

Since we are talking coffee I'll add my two cents to the mix. While living in Europe I found the coffee at least to be drinkable with Italy and Spain being the best and the UK not much better than the US. (Of course many would argue that the British aren't really European and that is a subject for debate all on its own). I never had a bad cup in Europe. Now in the US, I can't ever remember having a good cup. I realise that taste is subjective but..... From time to time I see forum coffee discussions on some of the cruising forums and they can be as lively as a political discussion.

If we want to talk coffee let's start a coffee thread.:coffee: :) :wink::yeahbaby:

Donuts. I'd a lot rather talk about donuts.

Shipley's = King of donuts.
Krispy Kreme = fried sugar with a little bland dough in the middle.
Dunkin' = pre-fab trash.
Also, corona making me drink (more).

To get back on topic - I once let my Dacor Pacer 900's sit for 5 years then went diving with them. No problem.

Never tried this and don't intend to. Plus, as has been pointed out, this experiment will provide a data set of 1. That data is irrelevant to other regulators or even others of the same regulator model. It is only useful for the specific regulatory tested and even then probably isn't a repeatable test. If you did this experiment a 2nd time you would almost certainly get different results.

I have my regs fully rebuilt every 2 or 3 years depending upon usage. My primary reg set I have rebuilt every 2 years. My pony and backup reg I have rebuilt every 3 years. Also I never have them rebuilt at the same time. I always want regs available that I know are working and haven't been service recently. If I were to have issues with a reg I would have it rebuilt sooner but so far I've not had to alter my planned service schedule.

Back
Top Bottom