Signs for "check computer" or "safety stop complete"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jborg

Green Water Diver
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my first dive after certification (boat dive in the tropics), at the end after the safety stop the DM signed something that was obviously a question but that I didn't understand. After some back and forth they grabbed my computer to take a look, and then we ascended. My conclusion was that they must have wondered whether my safety stop had been completed, or possibly more generally if my computer thought everything was a-ok to ascend or whether I had by some stroke of unlikely magic managed to acquire a deco obligation. (Be a bit late to consider that though at 5m.) I didn't think more about if, and don't remember the signage used...

Then recently the same happened on a club dive locally (Sweden), though this time after some initial confusion I OK:d it since the safety stop was indeed done from my point of view. Yet again I didn't catch the signage other than the general questioning aspect and in the end a pointer towards my computer. And of course by the time we were on shore I'd forgotten about it or I'd asked then.

What's this exchange about? I understand the general "I'm good, are you good to ascend?" aspect of it, but would expect that to be expressed just as "ascend" "questionmark" or similar. Is there a known thing for specifically asking about the other's computer's opinion...?

Yeah that would not have confused me. :)

There's no universal, it's mainly charades past the few universals:
- OK
- Up
- Down
- Out of Air

Everything else has some form of regional dialect.

To answer your question, generally if you keep it slow and simple most divers will be able to piece it together:

Check Gauges (air pressure) is: holding your Left hand open, palm up, and tapping two fingers with the right hand onto your palm
You could also mime with your SPG in hand or sweep an invisible SPG in your hand from the position where your buddy keeps theirs.

Check Time/Computer: Tap two fingers on your watch, wrist computer, or tap where one would be

Ascend or Descend?: Hold Thumb Sideways then slowly rotate wrist to go Thumb Up, then Thumb Down and then return to Thumb Sideways

Practically speaking you could just give the [Ascend or Descend?] signal.
These aren't universal signals but given where most people keep their SPG, or know where watches are worn, the first two signals can be empathized with and understood.

The UP DOWN alternating signal if done slow will probably elicit a response of the diver to either shake their head and charade a stay put signal or they'll give you the Thumb Up if you're at a safety stop and they're ready to go.

Some advanced signals like Check Deco (closed fist, pinky out, palm facing buddy) and making your buddy interpret that as "What is your time remaining?" relies on interpretation and pre-dive planning. It is good to have advanced signals like that or even single handled numbers 0-9 or even the PADI number system, but if you're with an insta-buddy you'll need to empathize and keep things simple.

All I can recall on charter boat dives was holding up 3 fingers to indicate begin safety stop then thumbs up when it's done. Probably started using a computer after 3 years of diving, but the safety signs were the same, I think.

I’ve seen dive guides swipe a flat hand, palm down, across the face of their computer, to mean “have you cleared your computer?” In other words, completed your safety stop. I didn’t understand the first time I saw it (and don’t use it myself) but I know it now.

the usual communication

"question deco"-question mark, then a fist with the pinky up
"deco-time- x-mins"-deco signal, finger circling top of wrist like you had a watch on, then a number
"ok-me-deco-x-mins"
when deco is clear
"deco-clear"-deco signal, then open hands making a motion like your cleaning them from dirt, basically wiping them against each other which could also just be one hand wiping the computer screen.
"ok, ascend"

Some other people use the safety stop sign which is like a T with your hands but the bottom one has 3 fingers up for 3 minutes. I don't really like two-handed signals so I never use that one.
You can also start that string by pointing at yourself, then saying "deco x-mins", then start the string above to let your buddy know what you have before you start communication, but you won't normally see that from dive masters or especially from instructors when teaching since you want the students/clients to tell you what they have

When I dive with a group, they are usually a mix of tech and rec divers. We use the palm down swipe across the face of the computer motion that @runsongas,@tbone1004 and @drl referred to. While we talk about it pre dive, it is not a big deal if a new diver to our group forgets as they will catch on pretty quickly watching the group.

oh, quick follow up to my post. If you're doing proper deco dives and you get back for a long deco. First diver will usually say "my deco is 74mins" or something, then ask "question you?". If for whatever reason your deco is longer by more than a few minutes either due to running a lower setpoint on CCR, personally chosen more conservative GF's, or diving a leaner gas mix because you have to drain tanks down, the appropriate response is to flip them off and angrily swap to the other side of the deco room

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom