Nitrox for older divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My shallow dives are usually 30' or less, no I see no need for nitrox. On the few times I've used it over the years I noticed no "better" feeling afterwords. It doesn't seem there is any scientific data to prove otherwise, but I don't know that-- there may be.
It's been often discussed. I figure the body only metabolizes the amount of 02 it needs so extra probably doesn't affect you unless too much extra and toxicity.

As you get older you may wish to be more conservative in your diving. i.e shallower dives or dives that avoid getting near the edge of the NDL time.
Using Nitrox would allow you to dive to the edge of your AIR NDL time, but the Nitrox is providing that buffer.

It is really a question of how much conservatism you believe you need, or feel is appropriate, and how you wish to achieve this.

There is one other advantage of Nitrox, in the (unlikely?) event of a bend, then your prognosis is better if you where using Nitrox as the diving gas.

Ultimately it's about how much risk you wish to take, and how you prefer to mitigate it.

For single tank dives mostly no. For multi dive days always yes. Largely because it gives more bottom time for the usual profiles I do. Also noticed a definite difference in how I feel at the end of a day.

I use nitrox for all dives except for ocean diving in the less than 30 to 40 feet range. I have never been able to tell that I feel less tired because I use nitrox.

Welcome back!

What they said: I will request Nitrox wherever it’s available, except for shallow dives.

I always use it if I can, and I'm an older-ish diver. My dives are above 50' but gas loading adds up and it means being further from the NDL. I set my computer to the actual mix. Even for shallow dives I feel better on it after two dives of an hour plus.

Fill logistics can be harder. Want air: 20 minutes and you're done. Want Nitrox: Depends on the fill bank, can you leave it, an hour+ from home? Yet I dive Nitrox.

ETA: There is less gas loading for a given dive (depth, time) on Nitrox than on air.

The most recent research I have seen on decompression sickness suggested that individual physiological differences are critical, and age was identified as being one of the most important factors.

In recreational diving, I use nitrox on all but the shallowest of dives. It costs a bit more, but that is the only downside.

I always use it if I can, and I'm an older-ish diver. My dives are above 50' but gas loading adds up and it means being further from the NDL. I set my computer to the actual mix. Even for shallow dives I feel better on it after two dives of an hour plus.

Fill logistics can be harder. Want air: 20 minutes and you're done. Want Nitrox: Depends on the fill bank, can you leave it, an hour+ from home? Yet I dive Nitrox.

I’m glad I have banked 32% available.

With the exception of Cuba - where it is not available - I have been diving 32% for several years. Though there is reportedly no science to support "feeling better" while diving nitrox, I enjoy the extra bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom