Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is this from actual experience or just your opinion?

Sadly I have plenty of experience in this. I think I have had 8 round trips cancelled to Cozumel since mid-March. I have a home there and normally spend about 40 percent of my time there

If you plans are flexible and you don’t mind getting stuck with credit on the airline and credit with the hotel and dive operator if one or both cancels you can try going in late June

Things to consider :
1). Covid in Mexico is getting worse, not better. Cases and deaths hitting new highs almost daily. Things have moved slightly backwards recently on Cozumel—had to tighten the curfew after loosening it. The change in curfew wasn’t that big of a deal , but was likely done as a signal to people that things were far from over. Also note the reported numbers are way lower than the actual numbers (especially in terms of number of cases). The mortality rate isn’t the 20 percent implied by official statistics for Q Roo, it is just that they primarily only count the really sick cases due to limited testing capacity You can see post 147 in Covid updates thread if you like. Also please note that even the deaths in Mexico are almost certainly undercounted —numerous organizations have found that Total deaths have jumped more than the reported Covid deaths would imply (part of this is because Covid might be listed as the second or third cause on the death certificate as opposed to the first cause , part of it might be just confusion , part of it might be various authorities just don’t want to see big numbers (or all of the above ). Some people throw a fit when you question the government, but there is a reason why Mexico always scores poorly on world corruption rankings. That said, Cozumel is almost certainly in better shape than the rest of Q Roo (and much of the US) , but really hard to be sure of the exact situation given the data issues

2). Ocean is currently closed to diving/snorkeling/swimming This is a federal issue I haven’t seen anyone in authority say when it will re-open. Obviously it is somewhat ridiculous to close shore-based snorkeling and swimming since they are lower Covid risk than walking down the street I Imagine this closure is because many people (in US and Mexico) consider sitting on the beach drinking beer to be swimming and even more people consider standing in 3 feet of water drinking beer and playing with kids to be swimming This issue is particularly important to me because I would be perfectly happy snorkeling for 3 hours a day and spending the rest the time in my condo watching Netflix or reading—however I do not plan to return until I am sure I can snorkel without catching grief from neighbors and/or the navy. I heard people were kind of looking the other way for true swimmers and snorkelers entering the water directly from their homes for a while (since that is essentially our backyard and more or less zero covid risk ) but a tourist having to get rescued while snorkeling didn’t help things

3. A lot of airlines adjust their schedules with fairly short notice. United seems to cancel flights about a month at a time about 30 days before the start of the month—theoretically I have two trips booked for July but I kind of expect them to disappear like May and June flights did American has been better but I think they cancelled a week of flights around Memorial Day about 3 weeks out. Delta shut down their Cozumel operations permanently (got rid of employees and has no plans to come back ) Southwest also cancelled their Cozumel schedule through the fall. . You can try to fly into Cancun , but recognize these flights are at risk also and the ferry schedule has been pared back substantially (2 a day right now) . You can look it up, but the number of trips per day they are running now is not necessarily representative of what they will be running 3 weeks from now. You might get stuck killing several hours each way in PDC (or even overnight )

4). As people noted there is a serious curfew right now. Theoretically it will be better in June but if cases get worse the curfew might stay or get worse. It is way worse than any stay at home order in the US.

5). I gather you are from Arkansas, where cases are rising. If you bring Covid with you to the island I don’t think the Mexicans are going to be too appreciative. Also I am sure you would prefer a US hospital to a Mexican hospital for COVID. (Although I have numerous friends who have been in CMC for non-Covid issues over the years and didn’t mind it ).

If you are OK with all of the above , go ahead and try to come down

Oddly enough, I am not opposed to tourism starting up as long as people know what they are getting into. Honestly I just don’t think Cozumel or Cancún can afford to be shut down until next Spring when hopefully we will have a large portion of the US population vaccinated (which is definitely not guaranteed). Tourism is just too big a portion of the Q Roo and Mexican economy—in particular it is a large source of foreign exchange. Mexico’s economy was doing poorly before this pandemic hit. We have already stressed the economy hard with a 2 month shut down, 10 more months without foreign tourist dollars just seems impossible Mexico will likely just have to accept some Covid deaths in exchange for revenue to keep people from starving to death

Mathematically it is hard not to arrive at the answer that you will have to open up for financial reasons long before you wanted to for the medical reasons , just really sucks if you or someone you know winds up as collateral damage in this calculation

Very reasonable and insightful post, cozcharlie. So many people seem to be in complete denial, I wish there was more equally rational content posted here in the threads about "opening up."

Mathematically it is hard not to arrive at the answer that you will have to open up for financial reasons long before you wanted to for the medical reasons , just really sucks if you or someone you know winds up as collateral damage in this calculation
That same set of equations is being played out all over the world.

Well said, cozcharlie. That was all running through my mind but I just didn't have the time or energy to write it all out, thus my statement "Trying to plan a trip for June is just asking for it." Too many unknown variables and no reasonable expectation that we will have the answers soon. Let me clarify.

It would be kinda cool to be one of the first tourists back and one of the first divers on a re-opened reef. When the Texas Clipper was to be sunk as a reef, I was on the first public charter bookd by my dive club CHUM as "sink date + 24 hours". Original date was May 2007. Then June, then August, then November. The ship was ready mid-November just as soon as a window of weather opened. We booked hotels and headed to S Padre before the ship was even towed out. Then the charter was 6am, then 8am, then 10am, then we opted to go to a rig for dive 1 and hope for an afternoon Clipper dive rather than reschedule. Got to Clipper site at 1pm, then 2pm, watching the sink team do it's final inspection dives... then finally... we got to do a quick dive in poor viz. But we were the FIRST and on a documentary film as we descended.

Point is, I can definitely get the appeal but you have to be very patient and flexible. I'd encourage anyone that desires that experience to book asap. Your trip might get canceled last moinute. You might not get to dive much if at all. You might find few things open. Those who just want the typical Cozumel dive trip experience are better off waiting until they see people actually enjoying the typical Cozumel dive trip.

It took me over a month to get my tickets refunded from UA for our April flights that UA cancelled. What a joke and a hassle they created and I don't want to deal with that again. There is a tentative plan to go mid July, but after the added hassle with UA, I have booked award tickets with AA. Since I booked before May 31, I can cancel and redeposit miles no problem, so I figured I'd book and at least keep my options open while some of this plays out. As much as I'd like to go, there's plenty of uncertainty on so many levels, not the least of which is will it be safe to travel there and be there. But I've kept the door open with minimal upfront financial risk on my part and not having $2k held hostage by an airline!

It took me over a month to get my tickets refunded from UA for our April flights that UA cancelled. What a joke and a hassle they created and I don't want to deal with that again. There is a tentative plan to go mid July, but after the added hassle with UA, I have booked award tickets with AA. Since I booked before May 31, I can cancel and redeposit miles no problem, so I figured I'd book and at least keep my options open while some of this plays out. As much as I'd like to go, there's plenty of uncertainty on so many levels, not the least of which is will it be safe to travel there and be there. But I've kept the door open with minimal upfront financial risk on my part and not having $2k held hostage by an airline!

I am with you on trying to minimize the amount of money we have with airlines. I have a bunch tied up due to international long hauls that an airline refused to refund (that’s a whole other story )

The other thing concerns me is that American probably will not fly planes that are less than 5 percent full to Cozumel forever. I may need to drive a few hundred miles to Dallas to catch an American flight if United keeps cancelling , but I fear American might start cancelling at some point also

As a backup plan I have even thought of flying to Cancun and getting the cozumel charter plane service to pick me up instead of dealing with Taxis and infrequent ferries (not cheap, especially on a per person basis given I travel solo). This is such a mess....

I hear you. I even filed a DOT complaint and after 20 business days with no decision on my refund I was going to do a chargeback. Hoping your long haul refunds get processed soon Cozcharlie and I hope the DOT smacks UA with a big fine.

At least with my points booking I can cancel online for redeposit (in theory) and have seen reports of folks doing that. I did look at the calendar for a week from now and they were still scheduled to fly the legs I’m booking for 6 weeks from now, so that’s a positive sign.
We’re staying with a friend in their condo so no hassles with hotel reservations.

mostly hoping the island will start recovering soon and if I can go that’s a bonus.

One thing I will add, back in mid May when that color coded map came out, during the presidents speech, he said something to the effect that the state governors could do their own thing, not follow the federal map, and they wouldn’t be sanctioned.

There’s two other federal people weighing in on stuff, a guy that I think is in charge of the health stuff - doesn’t seem like he is doing much. Then the other day this women from the health ministry or something said she had to sign off on any changes - very confusing.
The governor's speech last night was pretty clear, limited tourism starting on June 8th.

I just heard from a friend last night that has a dive shop in Mahahual. He said "
looks like we can start June 15th with 30% boat capacity and by the time you guys are around hopefully at least 50% or more to make some Chinchorro trips as well, will keep you updated". We are on a SW flight HOU-CUN, July 12th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom