New to BP/W...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lilghost, I am close to your size, 5'5", but dive warmer water. Dive a skin to 3mm max.

I have a generic SS plate and a 25# Hollis wing, plenty of lift for me.
My tanks are HP 80 steels, have XS? weight pockets on tank straps to use if needed. Don't miss the weight belt at all!!!
Purchased wing and plates used on this site and saved lots of $.If I were to go new, Loosenit2's list above is spot on.

FWIW:
I have the standard size SS plate and the Hollis aluminum. Mostly use the SS, they both fit fine.
If you can find a plate with the bottom corners bent or flared it might be worth it.
I boat dive 95% but did a beach walk once and the straight edges dug into my lower back a little.
Not enough to buy a new one or a Freedom (one day), but something to think about.

When I dive with a skin or rash guard I sometimes want a chest strap, maybe.
Get good, quality webbing. This will make a difference in the tropics.

The versatility of the BP/W is great. Love mine, I don't think you will be sorry.

I use the 30lbs DGX wing and SS. With a steel 15l tank I need to use 2kg of weights and it keeps me afloat easily. But I'm quite buoyant as is. So 30lbs is more than enough for you.

Here is a pic of my setup. And to be honest, once you go BP/W you'll feel the freedom and comfort.

IMG-d7fffe14187499b9029b1094842b3920-V.jpg

This is in colder water with a 5mm.
In a 3mm or rash. I wouldn't need anything.

And the wing is strong enough to pull me out when I was testing and I was 6kg over weight and it worked fine.

I really just want something that is not going to be too big for my body, and also affordable. The weight of the BC in terms of travelling is irrelevant (I otherwise travel light) however I have been looking at the xdeep ghost because it seems to be affordable and well-reviewed?

Affordable is what you can get down under. This site's mostly North Am, we wouldn't know.

As for the lift, if you have 8 kg of lead, another 1-2 kg of assorted junk, and another kilo in a full Al80, that adds up to about 23-25 lb wing. However you may want to go closer to 30 in case you take a heavier tank or need extra neoprene. So, what @Angelo Farina said: #30 donut wing, SS plate to reduce the amount of lead in your pockets.

I'm considering buying my own BC after renting for years and I want to switch to a BP/W set up.

I've done a bit of research, but not really sure on what's best for me. I don't understand how much "lift" I need from a wing and I don't know whether to go with an AL or SS or soft backplate.

Some facts about me-
I weigh 59kg (130lb), I'm 164cm tall (5.3 feet), I am female
I dive recreationally, single tank
I dive in salt water of 17 to 19C (62.6 to 66.2F), I also sometimes travel and dive in the tropics
I have a 5mm probe idry full suit, plus 2mm gloves, hood and booties
I use 8kg (17.6lb) of lead wearing the above with a rental jacket-style BCD and AL 80 tank

I really just want something that is not going to be too big for my body, and also affordable. The weight of the BC in terms of travelling is irrelevant (I otherwise travel light) however I have been looking at the xdeep ghost because it seems to be affordable and well-reviewed?

I know people in the US with the XDeep and really like it. If it’s affordable for you, go for it.

It’s a good point.

Import Duties and Taxes | Dive Gear Express®

looks like to Australia it’s going to be 15% import duty. Probably still a really affordable option given the low price.

Now's not the best time to pay AUD for American stuff. ~$650AU for DGX package w/ SS plate and a pair of camband trim pockets. She'd need another pair of weight pockets on the belt, pref. quick-release, that's likely another hundred.

There are 3 quality sets below that would meet your needs, all in the 350-400 range. a 30 lb wing might be a bit much lift for you, you could probably get away with a 23 to save a little $.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

Hog BP/W Full Set - Single

Deep 6 Single Tank Backplate and Wing Package

You will need to add some weight pockets to all 3. Most manufacturers offer ditchable weight pockets for an extra 60-100 but in truth something like Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! works just fine too at $12 a piece with each holding 5 lbs. Add a few trim pouches on the back for a few extra $ and you are set.

I'm looking at buying my first BCD and going BP/W and considering those three options. Not really sure which would be best.

They're all good. I use the DGX and it's a pretty good system. I use it with a 15l steel tank, and the lift is more than enough if you're properly weighted.
I use a steel plate, and no weights up to 7+5mm neoprene on myself.

So far, I only needed weights for 10l steel tank, and only 4kg for that.

Do you worry about quick release buckles on your rigging or will you only go with a single piece of line rigging? How much of a concern is it as a failure point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom