• I have backup gear for my own personal use

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • I have backup gear primarily for visitors

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have lots of gear and regularly change things up

Votes: 52 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are asking the wrong audience this question. SB is heavily tilted towards technical diving, which means that a large proportion of folks will have multiple sets of gear for different purposes.

If you are just a recreational diver you likely don't need multiple sets of stuff, if you do tech diving you likely have a closet that you are hiding from your spouse with all your ill gotten gains in it.

Bold of you to assume I didn't immediately hide my rec gear from Not-Yet-Mr. Pacific. Only me and my bank account know how much I've spent on gear and that's how it's going to stay

I could mostly equip two divers.

Multiple first and second stage backups.
Four backplates w/ harness (AL, SS, SS, Freedom)
Wings: One each of singles, doubles, sidemount.
Backup masks, fins, wetsuits.
Repair kit. Backup hoses, SPGs, lights, cutters.
Only one computer and compass.
1x tiny doubles, 2x tiny sidemount sets, 1x bands to use sidemount as independent doubles.

For recreational diving two hours away, though I normally bring just one of doubles or sidemount gear.

Wasn't an option that fit really well for me.
3 sets of doubles
5 stage bottles
4 backplates with harnesses
2 drysuit inflation bottles
I don't know how many first and second stages
bags of o rings
reg rebuild kits
reg service tools
2 drysuits
3 or 4 sets of fins
umpteen cutting devices
4 action cams
cannister lights, backup lights
smb, lift bags
finger spools
Primary reel
safety reels
multiple hoods
several sets of gloves
portable compressor with oils and filter components
4 computers
O2 analyser
compasses
nav board

DW

I don't really have backups, but I have singles and doubles regs. If something happened to singles regs, I could reconfigure my doubles regs to use for single tank.

Also have singles and doubles wings. I only have one BP that gets switched between singles and doubles as needed.

I have doubles of all drysuit undies (including socks, dry glove liners, etc.), except for main undersuit. One drysuit.
I am in the same situation that the poster above.

However if this situation continue I may have to invest in a bigger drysuit :D

We each have an extra computer and an extra mask, and they always go with us on trips. The only truely extra stuff is little stuff (wetsuit boots and gloves, spools, smbs) that has more value as extras than I could get from selling it used.

15-20 yrs ago I tinkered with PCs a lot. From that I learned that if something has value now and I don’t really need it, it should be sold quickly before its value drops. I try to maintain this discipline and sell things I don’t need (usually after some upgrade purchaseand esp. valuable items). The value of used gear generally will not go up.

That said, I do buy used gear I don’t need if the price is quite good and the investment not too great. There are always students who need a computer ASAP, not next time a good deal comes around.

The only "backups" I have other than wet/dry side mount harness are spare parts. That said, I have 9 regulator sets and 16 tanks. I "need" to be able to do a 3 day weekend of deco diving without fills available. Not to unusual to use 7 or 8 of those regs on one Trimix dive for those unaware. The 9th is my wife's recreational setup. All of our regs use the same parts kits, so they technically are all backups for each other.

Just curious how many people have a backup or second set of dive gear, and how often they end up using it themselves.

Last week I looked at the giant bin of scuba gear I’ve accumulated and wondered if I could be downsizing. But 2 days later I had a hose failure (on land) and was very happy to have a second reg set to use while I change hoses and overhaul my regs.

AJ...

To answer your question...because of the nature of this sport...I have back-ups for everything...you will find that most seasoned divers who dive regularly do...

Having said that...''back-ups''...can and will get way out of hand if...one...you're not careful...and two...you have trouble keeping your wallet in your pocket...

When you reach a point where the back-ups for your back-ups have back-ups...you really need to stop and rethink your ''needs'' over your...''oh I'd like to have that''...

Because you will find...as hard as you try...some if not most of your...''would like to have's''...never get used...and then you start wondering whether or not you should open a dive shop...because you're already fully stocked...

You can always find out the hard way...most do...

W...

Back ups (reg, BC, other stuff that can be broken or lost) aren't overly important to me. The LDS here does repairs in a timely manner. Same with the shop I patronize when in NY and the one in Destin, FL. What's a week or two of missed diving when you dive basically year round?

A few years back I figured I had just enough to make 2 sets of gear. Loaded it all up on a business trip and took my boss (vacation diver) out in the morning. He had all my recreational gear, I had sidemount.

Since then the sidemount has gone away. The recreational gear lives in the boat as anchor/keys/wallet retrival gear. So I have 2 full sets of gear but they are the extreme ends of the spectrum. Single tank or rebreather. Lots of backups, but not multiple sets of gear

I'm sure some can relate :)

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-02 om 21.40.09.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom