Do I want a Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think that such a requirement is even remotely realistic?
I think building the strobe seems very feasible.

An op with OOA prone divers might prefer knowing about it at 500 instead of zero. The brownies to skipped dives might be a hard sell. But some community frowns for hitting 500 at depth might work.

I think building the strobe seems very feasible.

An op with OOA prone divers might prefer knowing about it at 500 instead of zero. The brownies to skipped dives might be a hard sell. But some community frowns for hitting 500 at depth might work.
And who is going to buy it? I sure as hell won't and if a dive op requires this, guess what? They'll only get business when the competition is full.

And who is going to buy it? I sure as hell won't and if a dive op requires this, guess what? They'll only get business when the competition is full.
Few of us here are the concern.

It is for the ops rental gear that Andy’s experiential and occasional divers are likely using.

Few of us here are the concern.

It is for the ops rental gear that Andy’s experiential and occasional divers are likely using.
If dive ops are going to foot the bill (I doubt it, as there is so little money in diving that all extra costs will be avoided), that's the only way. I'd gather most people rent gear on vacation and they likely won't notice anything about a special HP plug.

I doubt there's a market for that.

With an 80? I'm skeptical...that's about 40 cuft, which even at 4 cuft/min would take 10 mins...so you might get 4 cuft/min at 5 ATM (full recreational depth) with a normal SAC/RMV, or moderate depths from someone super excited.....but 10 minutes staring at an SPG?
No, a breath at 130'. One breath. You have more faith than is warranted in equipment. We were hanging above and off to one side. She put her head down in a hole to look for a fish. Came out and took a breath while looking at her gauges. Calmly swam to the DM next to her and took his extra reg and they started up. On our way up I started thinking how much I'd give for an extra breath if I didn't have any air. And I bought Spare Airs. Something blocked the air supply. I assume debris in the rented tank. I know another person who had that happen deeper and he was badly bent when he CESA'd. I firmly believe in knowing what my air supply is. Never had a problem. But you can't safely bet against equipment failure.

No, a breath at 130'. One breath. You have more faith than is warranted in equipment. We were hanging above and off to one side. She put her head down in a hole to look for a fish. Came out and took a breath while looking at her gauges. Calmly swam to the DM next to her and took his extra reg and they started up. On our way up I started thinking how much I'd give for an extra breath if I didn't have any air. And I bought Spare Airs. Something blocked the air supply. I assume debris in the rented tank. I know another person who had that happen deeper and he was badly bent when he CESA'd. I firmly believe in knowing what my air supply is. Never had a problem. But you can't safely bet against equipment failure.
That's a rather different story from her tank dropping from 1600 to 0 while she was looking at the SPG.

That's a rather different story from her tank dropping from 1600 to 0 while she was looking at the SPG.
No, that is the exact same story. She took the breath while she was looking at the SPG and the pressure dropped close enough to zero that she said it was zero.

No, that is the exact same story. She took the breath while she was looking at the SPG and the pressure dropped close enough to zero that she said it was zero.
Sorry, I'm still skeptical. That sounds like it may have been a valve that was only partly turned on....and the pressure would have returned to 1600 in a few seconds. She may well have needed the DM's air, but she might also have just needed him to have turned her valve all the way on.

No. The reasons have been laid out clearly. The supporting arguments have been particularly weak.

Sorry, I'm still skeptical. That sounds like it may have been a valve that was only partly turned on....and the pressure would have returned to 1600 in a few seconds. She may well have needed the DM's air, but she might also have jut needed him to have turned her valve all the way on.
Might have been, but it wasn't. Wasn't the case with the guy who got bent either.

Back
Top Bottom