Piranha P2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont forget to add the 8 batteries to your budget.
I don't know what the Dewalt 12ah batts cost in the US but they will definitely add a substantial amount to your total cost.
The system with the power tool batteries is a great move from Dive Xtras though, they're moving all potential battery issues to another company and Dewalt will definitely keep developing their battery system, so the future is looking very bright for the way Dive Xtras has taken.
Logic dive gear has done an even better version with their Genesis scooter, where you can just sort out the individual 18650 cells yourself, absolutely brilliant.

5ah...

_R

Logic dive gear has done an even better version with their Genesis scooter, where you can just sort out the individual 18650 cells yourself, absolutely brilliant.

Its a totally genius design. BUT I'm not sure I would ever fly with it. Maybe if I am willing to just toss the batteries at the airport. Or I ship the cells ahead. TSA and its sister agencies around the world are just too random for me to trust they won't make up new rules or hassles on the spot.

I think the Genesis battery idea is brilliant, but 18650s can be difficult to obtain if you're not in a mainstream location (OP is in Indonesia). I recently tried to get a new battery for my can light, but couldn't find anyplace that would ship to me (I live on an island, so no ground shipping. Guess hazmat fees aren't worth it for a $200 flashlight battery pack). I figured I'd just do it myself, spent an entire day looking for 18650 cells here: $15 ea for the Chinese somethingfire cells that usually sell for 2 or 3 dollars are are known to be garbage. Tried to order name brand 18650 cells from a couple of reputable online battery places--orders went through then were cancelled, couldn't ship out here. I ended up ordering a couple of dewalt 5ah batteries off Ebay and taking them apart for the cells.

I agree with @rjack321, not sure I would trust airport security with a battery that expensive. Heck, I've even had a portable baby crib taken away from me, even though I pulled up the airline website that said they were allowable as carry-on gate-checked items.

Jim

I have an early model Genesis 1200 (roughly the same as the 2.2 now). I have had it for about 5 years.
10/10 would buy another one, totally flawless, zero weaknesses.

I am not generally an early adopter and perhaps I'm wrong, but the blacktip is only water cooled scooter ever and I predict an eventual wave of blacktip motor failures.

Thanks rjack for the endorsement, but you are an early adopter, since your Genesis was the first with a water cooled motor. Simply means that the metal of the motor lamination has direct conduction to the water (through a reasonably thin aluminum housing wall) instead of the motor being supported inside the DPV and primarily surrounded by stagnant air, which is more of an insulator. Your Genesis was also the first (and still only DPV with) Magnetic prop coupling, external recharging, one handed fully variable speed control.

Its a totally genius design. BUT I'm not sure I would ever fly with it. Maybe if I am willing to just toss the batteries at the airport. Or I ship the cells ahead. TSA and its sister agencies around the world are just too random for me to trust they won't make up new rules or hassles on the spot.

I've traveled with the Genesis extensively and never had anyone question the batteries, other than one time early on, when I was hand carrying them through the security checkpoint and the little sniffer patch they wipe on things, tripped off the explosives detector and they had to call an EOD guy to inspect and give the OK. Almost missed the connecting flight.

Now the batteries stay inside the DPV when it is checked. I put a brochure and the following note on top of it, so it's the first thing they see when they open the bag. They have never called or paged me. Every TSA baggage inspector in the US in being video recorded while they inspect and they know it. Should they damage your DPV, you can have them pull up the video based on the baggage claim ticket for proof.

Dear Airport Inspector,
That large black thing you just saw on your X-Ray in an under
water scooter for SCUBA diving. The batteries have been
disconnected to prevent operation, discharged and the
terminals protected against short circuit.
The scooter can be severely damaged if opened or closed
improperly. If you would like to inspect inside, please call my
cell phone below in the USA or have me paged inside the
airport.
Have a nice day,
Jon Nellis
Cell # ...

Thanks rjack for the endorsement, but you are an early adopter, since your Genesis was the first with a water cooled motor. Simply means that the metal of the motor lamination has direct conduction to the water (through a reasonably thin aluminum housing wall) instead of the motor being supported inside the DPV and primarily surrounded by stagnant air, which is more of an insulator. Your Genesis was also the first (and still only DPV with) Magnetic prop coupling, external recharging, one handed fully variable speed control.

I've traveled with the Genesis extensively and never had anyone question the batteries, other than one time early on, when I was hand carrying them through the security checkpoint and the little sniffer patch they wipe on things, tripped off the explosives detector and they had to call an EOD guy to inspect and give the OK. Almost missed the connecting flight.

Now the batteries stay inside the DPV when it is checked. I put a brochure and the following note on top of it, so it's the first thing they see when they open the bag. They have never called or paged me. Every TSA baggage inspector in the US in being video recorded while they inspect and they know it. Should they damage your DPV, you can have them pull up the video based on the baggage claim ticket for proof.

Dear Airport Inspector,
That large black thing you just saw on your X-Ray in an under
water scooter for SCUBA diving. The batteries have been
disconnected to prevent operation, discharged and the
terminals protected against short circuit.
The scooter can be severely damaged if opened or closed
improperly. If you would like to inspect inside, please call my
cell phone below in the USA or have me paged inside the
airport.
Have a nice day,
Jon Nellis
Cell # ...

You actually discharge the batteries before flying with it? What does that mean? Surely not running them all the way down to zero. So, discharged just meaning not full? Or is there some target level of charge you run them down to?

I guess I consider the aluminum to be isolating even if the motor is potted into the inside

You actually discharge the batteries before flying with it? What does that mean? Surely not running them all the way down to zero. So, discharged just meaning not full? Or is there some target level of charge you run them down to?
ITA specifies that li-ion batteries are supposed to be discharged to <30% in order to fly them.
https://www.prba.org/wp-content/uploads/IATA-2019-Lithium-Battery-Guidance.pdf

In practice, they never check voltage

I typically discharge them down to around 30% if they are not already there after the last dive(s). I just lock the trigger on at full speed and let it run for a few hours in air. Makes a nice fan in hot weather, but don't try that with any other scooter, you'll burn up the shaft seals.

The 30% is for commercial shipping and they don't check until something catches fire (at which point you will be held responsible for violating the regs if there is any evidence left), but the 30% doesn't apply to passenger baggage. Battery issues typically happen either when charging or hanging out at maximum voltage. I don't want to be "that guy" who burnt up an aircraft, when it's so easy to lower the voltage a bit before flying. Do everyone a favor and at least get them down around 50% before flying. I used to fly in the USAF and I can tell you that diverting for emergencies is a royal PITA.

Back
Top Bottom