Seiko inside your divecomputer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original Nitek Mon Nitek fin 2009.JPG was already made by Seiko. So were the Nitek Titanium, Nitek 3 and Nitek He. Those predates the Duo and Trio. Then there was the Nitek X, which was a failure, and the Nitek Q. I've absolutely no idea who designed those 2. I dive on a regular basis with the Q as a backup to my Shearwater Petrel, nothing to compalin about.

what about the nitek he ?

As I stated in my latest post, Nitek He, was designed by Seiko.

Remind me it was my first He computer and at the time, in the last century if I remember correctly, it was THE computer:)
Any idea about Dive Rite computers' time line? Is the list below correct?
1.Nitek
2.Nitek 3
3.Nitek He
4.Nitek Duo
5.Nitek Trio
4.Nitek X
5.Nitek Q

To the best of my knowledge, your time line is correct. There were several version of the Nitek, to add to this list, but I've almost no info on them.

To the best of my knowledge, your time line is correct. There were several version of the Nitek, to add to this list, but I've almost no info on them.
You make my day. My memory is not that bad :) :)
Merci :)

Pas de quoi ! :wink: (You're welcome)

Remind me it was my first He computer and at the time, in the last century if I remember correctly, it was THE computer:)
Any idea about Dive Rite computers' time line? Is the list below correct?
1.Nitek
2.Nitek 3
3.Nitek He
4.Nitek Duo
5.Nitek Trio
4.Nitek X
5.Nitek Q

I have a Nitek Duo that I bought in 2008 and a Nitek Q that I bought in 2016. The Duo was inexpensive as the Trio was being introduced.

The Nitek Duo is said to run a Buhlmann variant. I've always been a bit confused by the 9 compartment model. So is this the Seiko algorithm, written by Randy Bohrer?
upload_2020-5-26_9-3-29.png

p5, Duo owners manual

At the time I bought the Duo, I was diving an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 primary (DSAT), backed up with a Cochran EMC-14. I bought the Duo because the Cochran was so unwieldy to use. Unfortunately, the Duo was so conservative that it was not useful to me as a backup. I had no information on the algorithm when I bought it. Turns out it is a bit more conservative than PZ+. I still have the Duo and it still works, but it has not seen any use for many years, not even as a loaner
upload_2020-5-26_9-13-21.png

The Duo was quite popular at the time, introduced around 2004, and there were many clones, branded by other companies, Zeagle N2ition, Tusa IQ-700, Cressi Archimedes, Apex Quantum, perhaps others.

Of course, the Nitek Q runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF. I used it for 3 years while learning Buhlmann before I switched to a Teric. The Q was obtained for only $400 from DGX, maybe a year before it was discontinued. It still gets a fair amount of use as a loaner.

See my previous post regarding the algorithm developed for tracking oxygen exposure Seiko inside your divecomputer? I think this might be an ongoing contribution from the Seiko-Dive Rite collaboration.

Edit: Though I have searched this topic many times, somehow, I missed this very interesting post from @tbone1004 Need help choosing a new computer, read this It doesn't necessarily address the short NDLs of the Duo, but it does contain a lot of very interesting background regarding the Seiko algorithm :)

Nice info there again. I must find some time to read it all, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom