Have you reached a Diving "Plateau. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Such an interesting thread! Love reading all of the posts.

I've had a number of diving friends tell me they took up spearfishing or underwater photography because they got bored "just" diving. That's something I've never felt! With over 1200 dives I've never been bored. I've been diving since 1992. Since I didn't have any dive buddies to start with, I did accumulate a lot of PADI specialty cards from my local dive shop at first. Then I was an assistant instructor (YMCA and SEI) from 1994 to 2000. It was a lot of fun introducing new divers to the sport. I've traveled all over the world but still love diving my cold home waters in Monterey. But I've never been interested in tech diving or cave diving, so in that sense I've plateaued. Which is fine with me. I hope to get some longer trips in one I retire in a couple of years. Looking at Australia, and I'd love to dive Antarctica!

Antarctica, I hope you're retiring young! :wink:

I really enjoy diving, my plateau like many other locals is the lack of good diving spots available close by that dose not include a whole day trip.

Perhaps but not really. Skill-wise I've developed to the point to be able to competently and safely do the dives I want to do. I have progressed up through Trimix and determined it wasn't really a level of diving that I truly enjoyed. So I've backed away from Tech. I progressed up through Divemaster and determined that I really didn't want to GoPro so I backed away and didn't pursue Instructor. Now I just enjoy all manor of recreational diving that South FL has to offer. My growth now comes from learning more and more over time about the life and ecology I'm seeing and starting down the path of being able to capture GoPro video to share what I see with family and friends. I'm perfectly happy with where I'm at!

Since I dive as a marine biologist, I'm nowhere near my "plateau" after 58 years on SCUBA. There's always something new to observe and document.

Antarctica, I hope you're retiring young! :wink:
Define "young". :) I'll be 60. But I do a lot of weightlifting (and squats!) and I try to dive at least once a month in Monterey so I know I can still handle the gear. At least in Antarctica it's all boat diving! I've gone diving in Alaska twice, but that was a few years ago...

Since I dive as a marine biologist, I'm nowhere near my "plateau" after 58 years on SCUBA. There's always something new to observe and document.
Yes! Always new things to see.

Yep hitting a plateau is hard. I’ve always loved the peace and quiet that diving has given me and have hit many but something always seems to pop up, photography, tech, salvage (legal), travel, going pro and now low and behold the invasive Lionfish showed up and I can’t get enough of hunting them. Keep diving safe and often.

Define "young". :) I'll be 60. But I do a lot of weightlifting (and squats!) and I try to dive at least once a month in Monterey so I know I can still handle the gear. At least in Antarctica it's all boat diving! I've gone diving in Alaska twice, but that was a few years ago...

It's too late to retire young. :wink:

I find it amusing when I go on dives in Asia I just bring my PADI quals. I bring my BSAC sports diving certs but never really use them.
I do recreational diving so deco dives are not part of that. Done with all the deco planned dives, spare tanks on the anchor lines, lots of bored time doing deco stops... love my recreational diving and try to do around 150 - 250 dives a year in Asia

Sometimes you get the TECH 40 / 50 guys telling you how advanced they are... I'm like yeah that's nice but not how I want to dive. Why? How many dive buddies that I know that have those quals ? None. The last course I want to do is the SDI Solo not because I want to dive solo but just to learn from the course. Coming up on 60 and just want to relax, so no need to do deep dive deco planning, I just use air most of the time and try not to exceed 40m on my single AL80 or AL100... have done to pick up dropped cameras or lights etc... I have a good sac rate and like to go slow as I like taking photos and videos... I also like to do 75 - 90 minute dives if my dive buddies are capable on air and don't get cold. I have blubber so don't dive with a wet suit in waters 24c or above. I don't want to dive with twins or a back plate I like my BCD all the same.

sometimes you get a DM or instructor who seems to think diving is a race between two points,, or they go fast to run divers out of air and do 40 minute dives.... not for me... old and slow like turtles but can go fast if I need to just like a turtle...

I sure hope that I haven't hit a plateau. Feels like I am just taking off from an extended plateau. Had a car wreck that resulted in a TBI, requiring a few years out of the water. Was finally cleared and have been back in the water for a couple of years or so now. Have gradually brought my skills back up to (mostly) snuff. Replaced a lot of the gear that I had to liquidate before being cleared.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom