Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the 25-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,609  ->  1,643
     Social Isolation             316  ->    329
     Hospitalized                 160  ->    166
     Recovered                    842  ->    854
     Deaths                       291  ->    294
Q Roo Tests pending               150  ->    130

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               36  ->     37
     Recovered                     16  ->     18
     Deaths                         8  ->      8
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

From the 26-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,643  ->  1,683
     Social Isolation             329  ->    342
     Hospitalized                 166  ->    171
     Recovered                    854  ->    866
     Deaths                       294  ->    304
Q Roo Tests pending               130  ->    174

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               37  ->     40
     Recovered                     18  ->     20
     Deaths                         8  ->      9
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

Cozumel numbers continue to tick upward. I've seen a fair amount of construction work of late, even though we are technically still in Phase 3. While I can understand laborers not wanting to wear maskas (105F heat index for most of this week), this seems to stand in opposition to the mayor's calls to continue to practice safe social distancing requirements.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's back to work we go - I heard curfew is switching to 6pm tomorrow night, that'll be a game changer....

upload_2020-5-26_16-2-19.png

upload_2020-5-26_16-2-46.png

What has it been?

A few weeks ago it went from 5pm to 7pm. It started at 10pm,went to 8, then 7 then 5 now back to 7 but changing to 6.

It's an absolute freaking joke with the amount of travel people are doing. The last eight weeks being shutdown meant nothing.

From the 27-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,683  ->  1,729
     Social Isolation             342  ->    341
     Hospitalized                 171  ->    147
     Recovered                    866  ->    922
     Deaths                       304  ->    319
Q Roo Tests pending               174  ->    167

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               40  ->     41
     Recovered                     20  ->     22
     Deaths                         9  ->      9

Late yesterday afternoon, the mayor expanded the curfew, now starting at 6pm instead of 7pm, due to the increasing cases in Cozumel. He attributes the increase to Mothers' Day gatherings (the curfew at that time started at 5pm). I'm not certain how much practical difference this makes, but it does send a message.

The governor has said that he will announce details of the "Economic Reactivation Plan" sometime before end of day Friday. He said that tourism is an essential activity, and that the industry will be allowed to begin getting ready with 30% of the workforce. When tourism does resume, it will be with verification of tourists' health conditions via "rapid tests". Full article at Noticaribe (Spanish). Because the page formatting makes translation difficult, I've also posted the DeepL.com translation at Pastebin.

I find the "rapid tests" comment interesting. There's no definition of what this will consist of. I suppose this could be a simple temperature check. Given the very limited testing that Mexico is doing, any actual testing for COVID-19 would be a big deal.

From the 27-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,683  ->  1,729
     Social Isolation             342  ->    341
     Hospitalized                 171  ->    147
     Recovered                    866  ->    922
     Deaths                       304  ->    319
Q Roo Tests pending               174  ->    167

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               40  ->     41
     Recovered                     20  ->     22
     Deaths                         9  ->      9

Late yesterday afternoon, the mayor expanded the curfew, now starting at 6pm instead of 7pm, due to the increasing cases in Cozumel. He attributes the increase to Mothers' Day gatherings (the curfew at that time started at 5pm). I'm not certain how much practical difference this makes, but it does send a message.

The governor has said that he will announce details of the "Economic Reactivation Plan" sometime before end of day Friday. He said that tourism is an essential activity, and that the industry will be allowed to begin getting ready with 30% of the workforce. When tourism does resume, it will be with verification of tourists' health conditions via "rapid tests". Full article at Noticaribe (Spanish). Because the page formatting makes translation difficult, I've also posted the DeepL.com translation at Pastebin.

I find the "rapid tests" comment interesting. There's no definition of what this will consist of. I suppose this could be a simple temperature check. Given the very limited testing that Mexico is doing, any actual testing for COVID-19 would be a big deal.
"Rapid testing" 7 ships full every morning would be interesting. At a second a person that would take 3 or 4 hours.

"Rapid testing" 7 ships full every morning would be interesting. At a second a person that would take 3 or 4 hours.
In fairness, you're assuming serial testing. It could be done in parallel, and for ships, they could push this off on the cruise lines, who could do testing as everyone queues up. But yeah, this smacks of another of those grandiose government plans that goes, "Splat!" when it hits reality.

In fairness, you're assuming serial testing. It could be done in parallel, and for ships, they could push this off on the cruise lines, who could do testing as everyone queues up. But yeah, this smacks of another of those grandiose government plans that goes, "Splat!" when it hits reality.
You mean like the ferry "X-ray machines"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom