Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the chance of aspirating vomit that gets stuck in the reg?

So, I posted this a little late in the "I puke while diving" part of this thread. I didn't want to pick on any particular poster in the thread, but I do want to know.

If you puke through your reg, what's the possibility of aspirating material that doesn't make it all the way out?

So, I posted this a little late in the "I puke while diving" part of this thread. I didn't want to pick on any particular poster in the thread, but I do want to know.

If you puke through your reg, what's the possibility of aspirating material that doesn't make it all the way out?
You breathe in slowly, carefully, like you are supposed to do if you're not sure if there is water in the reg. "Airway control." You can also purge the reg (out of your mouth) and shake it and get most of the stuff out.

What's the chance of aspirating vomit that gets stuck in the reg?

Depends on whether you fully chew your food or not earlier in the day.

There has been a lot of back and forth in this thread. I think we all need to realize that COVID-19 will change the industry. With so little fact-based data at this time, dive centers and dive professionals need to find ways to still make money. This will include making some new rules and recommendations based on what we know as well as what we do not know.

We do not know for certain one way or the other how long 19 can survive in saltwater at varying degrees. I believe it is smart for a dive center to change regulations in order to follow the age old saying of "better safe than sorry"

We will all need to rethink some of the things we do as we move forward. We will see policies change time and time again until we know more based on scientific fact.

I would go diving with them as I know the industry is really hurting right now and want to support as many places as I can so that we continue to have the number of options we have today for diving.

I applaud you Buddy Dive for taking steps to protect your divers in the face of the truly unknown while allowing us all to get back into the water. :clapping:

NYC has also made some policy decisions that have resulted in disproportionately high deaths compared to elsewhere in the US.
Unfortunately the same happened here in Lombardy... I hope the rest of the world had learned from our errors.

There has been a lot of back and forth in this thread. I think we all need to realize that COVID-19 will change the industry. With so little fact-based data at this time, dive centers and dive professionals need to find ways to still make money. This will include making some new rules and recommendations based on what we know as well as what we do not know.

We do not know for certain one way or the other how long 19 can survive in saltwater at varying degrees. I believe it is smart for a dive center to change regulations in order to follow the age old saying of "better safe than sorry"

We will all need to rethink some of the things we do as we move forward. We will see policies change time and time again until we know more based on scientific fact.

I would go diving with them as I know the industry is really hurting right now and want to support as many places as I can so that we continue to have the number of options we have today for diving.

I applaud you Buddy Dive for taking steps to protect your divers in the face of the truly unknown while allowing us all to get back into the water. :clapping:
^^^^^ this.

There is (oops, previously the iOS keyboard made this isn’t) a lot of crappy “you can take my Air2 when you can pry it from my cold dead hands” nonsense in this thread. In typical social media style a lot of people are complaining about stuff that is not happening.

I cannot currently dive AT ALL. In theory if I was prepared to drive to the coast and back (3hrs) in a day I could do a shore dive but all the inland sites are closed and boats cannot operate and I cannot stay overnight at the coast.

At a statistical/population level it is important to control infections and so the current position is just NO. As understanding improves NO moves to OK BUT...

I welcome Buddy Divers TRYING to facilitate diving.

beaverdivers:
Would you not go diving at this resort because of this new rule?
No. I would still go diving at this resort.

1. The rules apply to 'supervised' diving conditions, and I seldom engage in those.

2. I do not use an integrated inflator / alternate air source (and actively discourage my students from considering them), so this rule has no impact on me (and, it is a perfectly reasonable rule, from my perspective).

3. Although I dive a long hose (and I firmly believe in, advocate, and teach 'primary donate' as the best configuration for recreational diving), I have no particular problem with the 'clipped off' recommendation (not stated as a rule in the wording of the 'new normal' policy). In order to comply with this recommendation, I would simply use a thin cable tie and an O-ring to attach the long hose second stage to a bolt snap (and the second stage WILL, reliably and consistently, 'break away' with a tug in that configuration), instead of cave line.

I write this post to stay on topic, and I offer my personal preferences not to debate them but to provide background for my response. But, I also write it with the benefit of knowing the resort, AND the benefit of reading the actual wording of the BD 'new normal' policy (thanks to tursiops for alerting us to the actual wording).

I have no particular problem with the 'clipped off' recommendation
Once again, there is NO "clipped off" recommendation.

Once again, there is NO "clipped off" recommendation.
Ooops! You are right! I even read the statement about long hoses correctly on the website. But, I must have been subliminally influenced by the discussion in the thread when I made my post. :)

Thanks for pointing this out.

Now, although I can leave my long hose draped over my shoulder while I am diving, and using my bungee necklace second stage, I do prefer to clip off the long hose second stage (alas, the way I was trained, and old habits die hard). So, if I make it to Bonaire this season I will do what I mentioned, above, with regard to changing how I attach my bolt snap to my primary second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom