Advice on these tanks I picked up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moby_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up these tanks for $15 each, so it was impossible to pass up the deal. I'm looking for some advice on these tanks (condition, manufacturer / model reputation) and more importantly the valves. I'll get hydro and vis asap but if they need new valves, I'll need to buy them in advance. Let me know what you think about the condition of the valves, if it would be wise to replace them and, if so, what type I'd need for each.

Things I know:
  • Last certified in 2000
  • AL & Steel 80s
  • PST steels don't have a great rep
  • No corrosion under the boot
  • The steel valve will need an insert
  • I'll replace o-rings
  • If nothing else, the boots are worth $30 :D
Any comments appreciated, even sarcastic ones haha

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpeg
    IMG_1625.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1626.jpeg
    IMG_1626.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1629.jpeg
    IMG_1629.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 165
Unless the you intend to DIY, valves are probably just worth replacing (DGX usually has surplus valves at $25 each). I would check the date on the AL... It's probably the bad alloy, and therefore scrap. Steels last forever if taken care of, so that guy alone is probably making your total buy a great deal.

What James said about the Al80. I would probably rebuild the thermo valve.

The aluminum tank is propably made of the bad alloy AL6351 judging by the tank decals, can't see the original hydro date.

The steel tank is a PST 100CF 3500 PSI. It's a skinny neck tank 7/8-14 thread 300 bar and will not take din inserts.
Regs need to be converted to din.
Great tanks

Al tanks can be made into lamp posts as they are probably as stated above.
The steel tank can be used once the regulator is converted to DIN (~$40) and tank serviced (Hydro, VIP).

the older al80 is basically scrap. it is 6351 alloy and not worth the headache of the annual extra eddy visual if you can find a shop that would be willing to fill it. maybe someone will take the j valve for a lp72.

the pst hp 100 is a nice tank. get it recertified and your regs switched to 300 bar din. the thermo valve is rebuildable if needed. a replacement is somewhat expensive as you will need 7/8 unf vs the standard 3/4 nps.

XSS Valve, 300 Bar DIN outlet, 7/8 UNF inlet threads | Dive Gear Express®

the older al80 is basically scrap. it is 6351 alloy and not worth the headache of the annual extra eddy visual if you can find a shop that would be willing to fill it. maybe someone will take the j valve for a lp72.
I would totally take the valve.... but it felt like a conflict of interest to say so! Also, you can use a J valve without using the reserve function, just make sure you move the lever down before you dive.

Great info, thanks for all the replies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom