Long-hose in the time of COVID-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Following the release of GUE COVID-19 protocols (link below), one of the options presented is to breath from the back-up regulator, while having the long hose/primary regulator clipped off.

https://www.gue.com/files/covid/GUE-COVID-19-SOP-v1.0.pdf

"Execute dives while breathing backup regulator. The long hose/primary regulator, disinfected properly, is clipped off, ready to donate in case of out-of-gas emergency."

Do you think clipping the regulator significantly increases the time it takes to donate in a OOG situation? Would you keep it unclipped instead (just hanging on your neck) in a recreational dive?

P.S.: Please do not turn this into a GUE vs [insert other diving agency name] discussion, nor on a "I prefer to keep breathing from the long-hose" one.

Thank you.

Would you keep it unclipped instead (just hanging on your neck) in a recreational dive?

If you just leave it hanging, it tends to get away from you, start hanging lower and lower, and then you somehow end up with a 7 ft danglie getting caught in everything. Especially if you’re doing a rec dive and tuck the hose in your waistband instead of around a can light.

I wonder if we’re going to go back in the direction of breakaway clips for the long hose. Although, keep in mind donating a clipped off long hose has been pretty standard for GUE CCR for what seems to be a long time, and I don’t think they use breakaways. I’d bet you can unclimbed and hand off a long hose faster than you can take unclip, close the loop, come off the loop, and hand off the long hose while coming back on the loop.

Following the release of GUE COVID-19 protocols (link below), one of the options presented is to breath from the back-up regulator, while having the long hose/primary regulator clipped off.

https://www.gue.com/files/covid/GUE-COVID-19-SOP-v1.0.pdf

"Execute dives while breathing backup regulator. The long hose/primary regulator, disinfected properly, is clipped off, ready to donate in case of out-of-gas emergency."

Do you think clipping the regulator significantly increases the time it takes to donate in a OOG situation? Would you keep it unclipped instead (just hanging on your neck) in a recreational dive?

P.S.: Please do not turn this into a GUE vs [insert other diving agency name] discussion, nor on a "I prefer to keep breathing from the long-hose" one.

Thank you.
The whole point of the long-hose primary donate comes from where your OOG buddy isn't in a position to get to your regs. There either one body length in front or behind; hence the long hose. Therefore, those proficient in removing the primary and switching to the secondary won't take long to become proficient at unclipping the primary to hand off. True GUI divers shouldn't have an issue with this.

Its the use in open water recreational diving situations with buddies not equipped with identical setup where there may be issues.

A lot would depend on the mental state of both the donor and receiver. We've all had times when the simple task of unclipping a small boltsnap was fiddlier than it should have been, but chuck in thick gloves, poor viz and an OOG diver steaming towards you and it could easily turn bad.

If both divers were well trained it would probably not be a problem, but in the example in the 'other' thread of a mix of unknown buddies, varying competence and different configurations, it could be. Obviously in the case of GUE diver training however, these issues are less likely to factor.

Perhaps as an interim measure during the current pandemic, adding a breakaway between either the longhose and boltsnap or boltsnap and shoulder D ring could be an extra safety measure. Just a thought.

I expect that those who decide to follow the suggestion will adapt.

DW

It will take longer to undo a clip rather than just removing the reg from your mouth, especially with gloves on. Is it enough time to make a difference? *shrug*

Does it have to be a bolt snap when “clipped”? There might be a solution adaptable from divers who already practice secondary donate. I believe that they are referred to as “octo holders”. Granted, they aren’t usually made of brass or stainless steel, but they are available in many colors to suit ones style and personality.

Does it have to be a bolt snap when “clipped”? There might be a solution adaptable from divers who already practice secondary donate. I believe that they are referred to as “octo holders”. Granted, they aren’t usually made of brass or stainless steel, but they are available in many colors to suit ones style and personality.
One of the rules of GUE is: clip off everything that's not in use. Clipping of by boltsnap that is. Reasoning behind this is that you can't lose your equipment, it does not dangle or get entangled and it's ready for use. Clipping off will take more time than break away snaps, etc. but I don't think it will take too much time for a trained diver. Personally I don't see a problem with the GUE solution as I can clip things blindfolded without even thinking about it.

I always keep my secondary clipped, for avoiding dragging it in the sand or over rocks...
The time required for unclipping is substantially zero, as my plastic clip will give way just pulling with enough force.
In any case also unwinding the long hose from around the neck takes some small time.
Leaving the reg unclipped, with a long hose, means that it could not stay where you suppose to find it, in case of need.
The secondary must always be clipped, or secured in other ways so it is readily available when needed.
In Australia they did not use a clip: instead the long yellow hose of the secondary was flexed in a "U" shape, then the U was forcedly inserted in a rubber sleeve (a piece of bladder of a bicycle tyre) surrounding the right shoulder harness.
This was keeping the second stage a few centimetres form the diver's mouth, and just pulling it did extract the long hose from the rubber sleeve. I did find this setup very nice and perfectly safe.
The shop was Pro Dive Cairns (PADI), running several LOBs...

"In any case also unwinding the long hose from around the neck takes some small time."

If it does, you're doing something wrong.

(The comment I was replying to seems to have disappeared.)

Back
Top Bottom