Have you reached a Diving "Plateau. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway I turned around went back to the car told my buddy no way, can't do it.
My last time at Buford sink was like that. It's over a half mile, through a swamp where if you miss a step, you're up to your waist in muck. But then I hear they have a board walk all the way to that awesome place. Oh yeah! I'll be back.

Curious - how did it help your scuba diving?

Mastering panic-inducing Carbon Dioxide buildup is priceless. Knowing that you can hold your breath far longer than you ever imagined doesn't hurt either. Beyond that, the deeper understanding of diving physiology improves your risk management outlook. It's a big investment for a good course. Mine was 4½ days (all day) of class room, pool, and ocean training.

Hello. I've come to the conclusion that my diving has reached a "Plateau."
I'm diving Blue Grotto Williston, Florida. this weekend. It's my Zen place. I like to go down to the bottom (103 ft.) sit on a rock, shut my lights off, and meditate for 20 or 30 minutes.
Last time I was there, a couple of weeks ago, sitting on "My." rock. I had a revelation, or ephinany (If, you will.)
At my age, my diving at this point (Probably.) won't advance to any greater degree.
I won't ever be a Saturation Diver, or Welder....or Commercial Diver of any kind. I've never had an interest in rebreathers. I am not a Cave diver. (Never will be.) Even with the type of diving I do, I don't stray to far away from ambient light.
I consider myself a Deep (which too me, is a relative term.) Wreck diver.
My "Plateau." 140 fsw for 30 minutes. Period.
I no longer have the desire, or need to go deeper.
I won't discuss "Doubles." or equipment, or anything needed to conduct a "Deep." dive of this nature.
Quite simply, a majority of the wrecks that I enjoy are in 120 to 140 ft of water.
I'm very comfortable at these depths, and it's something, I really enjoy.
It wasn't planned, it wasn't a goal of mine. it just seemed to fall that way. Is it coincidence?
Is it really even important?
So, the question is...if it applies? What is your "Plateau."
Cheers.
Interesting thread generated. I like the post very much. Everyone has a place which is their Zen Place. For me, the Zen is generated when I enter the water with friends who don't argue dive politics and dive non-competitively (eg: who has more air at end of the dive kind of thoughts). I do have super Zen locations I like to dive: in those locations, I am super high on the love of diving.

Everyone has a place which is their Zen Place.
Interesting. I'm not sure I see the two as being equivalent. They can be the same, but they don't have to be.
I really like everyone's varied responses in this thread.
As do I. As do I.

Interesting. I'm not sure I see the two as being equivalent. They can be the same, but they don't have to be.
That place is being underwater in the conditions I described in post.

That place is being underwater in the conditions I described in post.
Yeah, I get that. It's been suggested that if I get any more comfortable underwater that I would be asleep. Yes, I have fallen asleep during deco. I find myself diving without the benefit of a BC... often. It's no more a struggle to keep neutral as when I dive with one. Less cumbersome and I like that.

For many, that is their goal. I had different goals. Many have changed. I don't feel a need to improve anymore, but I love diving. I Zen. My heart rate drops to about 50 and life is grand.

Going technical is what brought me back, for the opposite of your reasons. I really enjoy getting to wrecks with history, rather than those placed for dive sites. Always something new to learn and integrate, skills to refresh and refine.

Plateaued? Oh, hell, no! I’m just getting started on the good stuff!

You were still body surfing? I may have done a little of that in my 50s in Gulf of Mexico with 2-3 foot surf. Used to do the big boys on Long Island or Jax Beach, etc. in my teens, 20s, 30s. I do try not to body surf these days with my scuba unit on.....
I was living in Phuket. Some days the waves were pretty nice. Couldn't resist. I did a lot of body surfing at Sandy Beach on Oahu when I lived there so I got the technique pretty wired for getting barreled. Also board surfed a lot on Kauai.
I took off on a pretty big left, got pitched and when I surfaced and started swimming out, I realized my left arm was dead. So I caught a wave in and was a bit wobbly as I walked up the beach. I thought I'd had a stroke. The symptoms went away after about 20 minutes. Went and had an MRI done and they wanted to drill a hole in my skull to drain the blood. I declined as I felt fine. It has changed me though.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-25_5-35-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-25_5-35-14.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 55
An exception worth considering is a good freediving course. It made a huge difference to me and will make any Scuba diver safer and more confident. I learned a lot about physiology that the Navy and commercial training never considered and established new limits. About a third of my classmates were 60+.
Yep. I took the PFI intermediate course when I was 55. Good stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom