Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noun

A object that you hang on your wall for decoration.

I leave mine in my suitcase. I have been known to snorkel. I've had the same snorkel for 26+ years

Do you see people in Bonaire practicing OOA drills?
I have seen people in all sorts of tropical locations practice ooa drills. Not nearly as many as should, but anecdotally, it happens on occasion.

I've also seen significantly more air 2 users constantly use their air 2s throughout every single dive, giving very ingrained memory as to where it is when needed.

Almost as many as octopuses that I've seen dangling in the wind and dragging through the sand with a clueless diver as to there location.

I was not the guide in those caverns. I simply reported what I saw: the guide refused entering a diver who was using frog kicking keeping the knees flexed and the fins well above his head.
The guide did show him the proper trim and kicking style for passing below the coral ceiling.
He did adopt the suggested position and kicking style, and passed succesfully under the coral.
I have seen this scene at least three times in 10 years spent doing holidays at Capo Caccia. The diver being refused access did comply to the suggestion of the guide in all three cases.
My point is that you must accept to adapt your behaviour to local circumstances and regulations, and obey to the DM when he is doing his job, safeguarding delicate marine life.
In a diffetent environment, possibly frog kicking with flexed knees is mandatory.
What is right in a place, is not necessary right in another...
We must be flexible enough for accepting this, when we visit places different than our usual ones.
I do not understand a religious defense of practices which are perfect for the sites where they were developed, but are against rules defined for special local circumstances (or temporary situations as this one caused by Covid-19).
Just for the record. The only one stuck in religious believes about diving is you. Maybe travel the world a bit. On the other hand, you always think you know everything. So maybe get Ferrari to hire you so that they can finally win an F1 championship again. ;-)

The difference is that the regulation/rule in this case does not seem like a reasonably or sensible request. It is not to protect the marine habitat. It is not a necessary step to adapt to unique dive conditions. It does not even seem to provide any health benefit except in the very unlikely event where 1) an unknown diver runs OOG and 2) that diver goes to an unknown second diver to get air and that diver just happens to be on island and diving with an active covid infection.

In your examples, specific gear or dive modifications are needed to safely dive those sites. That is not the case here.

This is Buddy Dive in Bonaire. Diving doesn't get much less complicated then this.

So to answer @beaverdivers question. If I am traveling with expectations of “instabuddies” (there is the elephant in the room) I could understand needing to adapt gear accordingly. Since I don’t do instabuddy dives, I would avoid any dive op that required me to adapt my gear when diving solo or with my husband as buddy.

^^^ This

The difference is that the regulation/rule in this case does not seem like a reasonably or sensible request. It is not to protect the marine habitat. It is not a necessary step to adapt to unique dive conditions. It does not even seem to provide any health benefit except in the very unlikely event where 1) an unknown diver runs OOG and 2) that diver goes to an unknown second diver to get air and that diver just happens to be on island and diving with an active covid infection.

In your examples, specific gear or dive modifications are needed to safely dive those sites. That is not the case here.

This is Buddy Dive in Bonaire. Diving doesn't get much less complicated then this.

So to answer @beaverdivers question. If I am traveling with expectations of “instabuddies” (there is the elephant in the room) I could understand needing to adapt gear accordingly. Since I don’t do instabuddy dives, I would avoid any dive op that required me to adapt my gear when diving solo or with my husband as buddy.
While diving non-professionally, I've only once had to give air to someone not my buddy. The idiot just ran his tank down and looked for someone nearby.
At Buddy Dive, these published rules -- which may or may not be in effect once things open up -- are only applicable when you are under their supervision, so mostly that's training and boat dives. For the latter, even though you may have a preferred buddy, other people are around you. So, you can choose not to go on boat dives and do shore dives only. Problem solved.
My preferred buddy -- my wife -- likes to do Fish ID surveys and report then to REEF.org. She is often wandering around looking under ledges, behind coral outcrops, etc., and I am carrying a camera looking elsewhere; nearby, but elsewhere. This means that the person closest to us is not always our buddy. So, whether I am a donor or an OOG diver, I may be sharing with someone I do not know. The New Normal rules are meant to address this. On a boat dive, while under their supervision.

Frankly, all the diving rules seem reasonable and acceptable.
If my group decides NOT to go to Buddy Dive in August -- even if they can -- it will be primarily because of the rules about dining and socializing. We are diving maybe 3-5 hours per day, but we are eating and socializing maybe 12-15 hours each day.....and that is highly restricted in the New Normal rules, just as it is here in Virginia at the moment. We are all pondering if we want to travel and pay to stay in an unfun situtation. Yeah, we'll get to dive...but what about the rest of the day?

Just for the record. The only one stuck in religious believes about diving is you. Maybe travel the world a bit. On the other hand, you always think you know everything. So maybe get Ferrari to hire you so that they can finally win an F1 championship again. ;-)
???
I said several times that there is not just one right way (certainly not my one), there are many, and depending on the local rules one has to adapt and comply to what is required by the resort...

Enough for that. Who does not comply, will simply be refused diving at that resort... Just choose another one with different rules, or dive by yourself with your own rules.

Regarding Ferrari, they actually contracted me 4 times already, and I will start a new project with them in November... But I do not see how this can be relevant here. Apart the incredibly strict rules, almost entirely unreasonable, you have to follow when entering their factory.

I thought most of them were anti-bacterial nowadays.
I am referring to our mouths and the bugs that cohabitate in them. I cannot fathom the mouth piece coming out of someone's mouth and do to the recipient OOD diver as being sterile in any fashion.@Snowman
If interested here is a link to this.

Please don't be alarmed. I rather get someone else's oral bacteria and live rather than drown for being an OOA diver.
Now the COVID-19 brings up new challenges for all of us.

Please stay healthy and safe my friends.

There is such a thing as fecal transplants, that can be life saving for some people with antibiotic resistant infection. Gives an entirely new meaning to give a sh*t... There is also such a thing as ear wax transplant from one person to another which helps treat chronic external ear infections. So getting someone else’s oral bacteria especially in a situation of emergency is not that big of a deal :wink: Many are concerned about COVID and maybe rightfully so. However, there are Herpes, HPV and other things that once you get may cause a lifelong infection and probably more likely than corona to stick on the moist surface longer.

There is such a thing as fecal transplants, that can be life saving for some people with antibiotic resistant infection. Gives an entirely new meaning to give a sh*t... There is also such a thing as ear wax transplant from one person to another which helps treat chronic external ear infections. So getting someone else’s oral bacteria especially in a situation of emergency is not that big of a deal :wink: Many are concerned about COVID and maybe rightfully so. However, there are Herpes, HPV and other things that once you get may cause a lifelong infection and probably more likely than corona to stick on the moist surface longer.

I saw the 60 Minutes report on that. I still say EWWW!!

Back
Top Bottom