Conception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which ones (#) did you use to determine that?
I didn't take notes, sorry. There were numerous victims that were found wearing footwear, jackets and other outerwear and carrying or in possession of smartphones, flashlights, etc. Just not the normal stuff you would wear to bed on a LOB. There were a few that were wearing what I would consider to be sleepwear so my guess is that victims in one end of the boat succumbed without time to do much while others had more time to at least get dressed, grab an item or two and possibly try to find a way out.

I read some had slippers on, UGG boots, one had jacket on. People do fall asleep with slippers on, UGG boots and a jacket specially on a boat if it’s cool out. I didn’t see where they had phone with them.

I didn't take notes, sorry. There were numerous victims that were found wearing footwear, jackets and other outerwear and carrying or in possession of smartphones, flashlights, etc. Just not the normal stuff you would wear to bed on a LOB. There were a few that were wearing what I would consider to be sleepwear so my guess is that victims in one end of the boat succumbed without time to do much while others had more time to at least get dressed, grab an item or two and possibly try to find a way out.

While I don’t know for sure, neither does the coroner and I didn’t read all of them but the clothing isn’t unusual for sleeping in a communal sleeping birth, I always, on these truth boats would sleep with my drysuit undergarments, shoes are not something I would have on but some people are a bit concerned about walking barefoot in a communal area.

...shoes are not something I would have on but some people are a bit concerned about walking barefoot in a communal area.

I don’t usually wear shoes to sleep in the bunk, but they are always in there with me. As for wearing odd clothing items, as opposed to at home, I’ll wear anything to keep warm when it’s damp and cool on those trips, and the selection is only what I brought. Took me a few trips to sort it out.

The only thing I found odd was the few with flip flops on, as wearing them would not keep your feet warm as other types of footwear would.

I may have missed something as I was just looking for what they were wearing or carrying and it’s not light reading.

Sounds like you guys know more about CA liveaboard diving than I do so I may have been off. As Bob pointed out, I found the flip flops and Ugg boots very suspect as well as the bodies recovered clutching flashlights, headlamps, smartphones and an iPhone in a pocket. It just didn't sound like the way I sleep when I am on a boat, but I have zero experience with CA LOBs so there's that. Incredibly sad either way.

I don’t usually wear shoes to sleep in the bunk, but they are always in there with me. As for wearing odd clothing items, as opposed to at home, I’ll wear anything to keep warm when it’s damp and cool on those trips, and the selection is only what I brought. Took me a few trips to sort it out.

The only thing I found odd was the few with flip flops on, as wearing them would not keep your feet warm as other types of footwear would.

I may have missed something as I was just looking for what they were wearing or carrying and it’s not light reading.
Flip flops were the odd one but it could be a case of crawling into a lower bunk and going to sleep, iPhone isn’t so odd since a lot of people use them for white noise. I did notice one report with a full drug screen, i sounder if the were the crew member??

I’m not sure what’s being implied here.. they got dressed and couldn’t get out? I think in this case the failure was on the crew.

Quote:
The boat was required by federal law to have a night watchman who was awake and could alert others to fire and other dangers, said NTSB board member Jennifer Homendy.

There are mentions of sandals (2 victims), slip-on shoes, ugg boots (two victims), slippers (2 victims)...

I have rarely seen people donning any of those to slip into their sleeping bags on SoCal boats (no bed linen were provided on the TA boats). Weather was nice on Sept 1-2, 2019, but not warm enough at night, especially at sea, to not use a sleeping bag. Some people will only use the provided blanket, especially if out of state and not used to the crude accommodations of SoCal liveaboards, but that does not seem to be the case of most passengers on that trip. And even then, I am not sure what sandals would do to protect from the cold.

Just be aware that coroner's reports have no pretension to establish a likely scenario and are open to interpretation. In fact, in one case I know intimately, the report was of absolutely no help in reconstituting the accident (which had several witnesses and a detailed police report, so that was luckily not necessary).
However, the present ones certainly raise many questions, besides the nature of the footwear found on some of the victims:

Why were all remains identifiable (by forensic analysis) but for one, limited to "a partial spine and pelvis" (which did not stop the coroner from establishing the cause of death as "smoke inhalation", next-to-last report)?

Why does one of the reports not refer once to burn marks, and quotes one of the lowest amount of CO detected in her remains? She was the youngest, and indeed the last one to be found, having drifted away in the kelp (last report). Scientific literature shows that young fire victims rarely succumb to such low CO % (https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(91)90091-V).

Heather's article and her expressed hope that her sister died innocently in her sleep (hope that I initially shared), is probably not the final word on this tragedy, at least as far as other victims are concerned.

I never took a sleeping bag on a TA boat, they always had a fleece blanket, that and clothing were the norm for me

For those not involved in the original thread there is a SB page with concise information and links about the Conception Fire Conception Fire - Resource Page

Media Page Media links - Conception Tragedy Has number of links to SB Threads

The Original closed Conception fire thread has summaries posted at the beginning and end with links that should allow you to sift through information without having to read through heaps of repetitive posts.

Back
Top Bottom